Center console for lake O

hookedupf7

I had a 19ft aluminum Sea Nymph center console that I used on Lake O a few times. I loved the boat but there are several reasons why I didn't like it for Lake O;

-lack of storage space/floor space for tackle boxes and coolers, especially a 120-150qt fish cooler, life jackets, extra rods, etc

-lack of space on the helm for electronics. I had a Bimini top, so I didn't have overhead compartments

-in certain wind & wave conditions it could be a wet and cold ride with spray coming over the bow. No protection from the elements

I owned the boat for 1 year before I realized that I needed something else. If an open bow boat digs into a big enough wave just right, it can fill the boat with water and spell disaster. I've been caught in conditions in my 21ft Bayliner Trophy where the bow was plowing into waves at near idle speed, and I was glad I wasn't in an open bow boat!

I recommend a closed bow boat for Lake O, and a boat with plenty of storage for gear and electronics.

Todd thanks for the reply. I think my original question was asked wrong. I probably only gonna hit Ontario a few times a year. Browns and maybe Lakers 100 ft of water, and kings in the fall. The rest of the time would be Lake George and smaller lakes. I am looking at this design compared to a Lund 1875 design. Cuddy setup won’t really fit for me as this will be part time family boat

I have a 21ft center console that handles the lake well on calm days. However it really stays calm all day. I’ve never had a issue getting back to the dock however it starts to become uncomfortable, especially if you ever fish alone.

justin

8 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

Todd thanks for the reply. I think my original question was asked wrong. I probably only gonna hit Ontario a few times a year. Browns and maybe Lakers 100 ft of water, and kings in the fall. The rest of the time would be Lake George and smaller lakes. I am looking at this design compared to a Lund 1875 design. Cuddy setup won’t really fit for me as this will be part time family boat

Some of my favorite things about my center console was how great it was for bass or walleye. We could comfortably fish 3-4 people when bass fishing. It was a great multi-species platform. We had a bow mounted trolling motor for it, and a kicker  motor too. The 90hp 2 stroke motor sipped gas. It towed easily and was easy to dock, launch and load. The main reasons I sold it was to get a bigger boat for Lake O, and to have a porta potty for the ladies. They like having the privacy of the cuddy.

It's a tough choice between a walk thru or a center console.

Edited by Todd in NY

Look at my user name it is 180CCF that came from my Wellcraft 180 Center Console Fisherman. Between my father and myself we have had a lot of boats. That 180 was an AMAZING boat. I bought it brand new in 1999 from the dealer on the south end of I-Bay (McMillan Marine). It came with a 115 Johnson. It was just a spectacular boat that did everything. It could go to the beach with family or fish with the best of them. 3 - 5's will come over the bow at times. But, it has deck scuppers so it is not a problem. It is just a pain in the ass to steer in them waves in a small boat.  It was well built and held up to everything I dished out. I treded it in for one with a cuddy in 2012. Some guy on the bay now owns it. The down side, you can't get out of the rain in a CC. It only had a bimini top. That s the only down side.

EDIT: with the 115 Johnson it did 41mph on GPS and if I did it again I would get the 150 over the 115. But, that is what it had on it when the dealer ordered it.

Edited by 180ccf