ideas on a 27 footer

fishman08

i'm looking into a 27 hard top express type boat. need a boat with enough room as we often have 5 guys in the boat during the pro/ams, but still need to be able to run at around 40 to get to the fish. Looked at a sportcraft and baha just wondering other brands you guys recommend.

lol thats why i left it open hank, i am going down to the miami boat show most likely to check out a bunch of boats and just wondering a what models i should check out...also what do you know about cherokee's a buddy of mine out in mich. found one to check out but i've never heard of them before

penn thanks for the link i'll look into it

Dear FM08,

Cherokee's are great for drift fishing...drift parallel to the wind. Widely used for walleye fishing...i.e. charter boats. Not great for running head-on into 4 footers. Tiara, Searay & Penn Yann's are better hulls for the typical choppy Lake Ontario wave conditions. Be sure and water test whatever you buy, Your spending some serious money and fuel consumption should be on your mind. A 40 MPH 27 footer (9.5 or 10' beam) with five persons & salmon equipment will need a minimum of twin V-8's to maintain a cruise speed of 30 mph. in fresh water.

You should look for one to two year old boats because of the tremendous depreciation on new boats. And don't forget the cost of an electronics package and misc.!! Remember that you can actually spend a lot of money to reach your goal. Good Luck finding your dream boat.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

40 mph in a true 27 footer is gonna be a lot to ask. I have twin 350's in my Penn Yan and on its best day at WOT I'm not sure I can reach 40! Most of the smaller Penn Yan's (under 28') only have single engines, so that'll definitely slow you down. If you can deal with 32 or 33 mph then a Penn Yan 265 Pro Hunter, 262 Competitor, or 267 Sea Stalker with a 350 in it would be a good bet.

my 27ft sportcraft off the four barrel goes around 22-24 mph at wot about 32-35 mph single 5.7 merc center mount engine , 5 mile run out and 5 mile run in and trolling for 7-8 hr burns about 65 bucks @ $4.00 a gallon ! if this help you alittle .

thanks moto...i actually just got off the phone with a sportcraft rep he told me that although they've gotten the 27 up past 40, that with 5 guys and all the fishing tackle that it would go 35 at the most, so atleast now i know he wasn't just telling me what i wanted to hear.

Just get one of those cigarett boats and modify it for fishing. They ll do 80mps or more. I always wanted to see one of those with riggers hagging off it. I figure 3 or 4 driftsocks should get you down to good trolling speed. Or just put a kick on it so you dont have to run the twin 400hp engines. You could fish any were on the lake in a day with out trailoring it, you could just race to were the good fishing is at 80mph. Probly need some heavy duty brackets on the transducers so they dont rip off the back at 85mph. Just think the the thing will be a chick magnet after your done fishing for the day, and no one will crowd you fishing because they would get and ear ache from the noise from the exhaust. :P;)

fishbandit ! thats funny you say that , i had a baja outlaw with a big block with two cannon riggers on it out of the genny 70mph on gps , did"nt know much about down temps and down speed back them, it was all about the top water, top end speed ! :lol: