How Much 50Lb Backing

Hey guys, been searching the forums and cant seem to get a straight answer.  Im setting up two okuma magda 45's with copper.  I have two spools of 600 feet of copper wire and a spool of 500 meters (1640 feet) of #50 braid backing.  how much backing should i put on each real, and how much copper?  for each, shoudl each one be a different setup?  First time using a copper set up BTW.   Plan on running dipsey's on the coppers

Sorry I can’t help you with the backing question, I don’t use Okuma reels. But copper is not intended to be used with dipsys, it’s used as a flat line, the weight of the copper makes it dive. 

copper and dipsey do not mix well.  Best to get a seven strands wire from blood run or torpedo for your wire set up.  With wire, there is only wire, do not add backing to the reel for the wire set up.

Thanks guys, glad i didnt spool anything yet. I guess i confused copper and wire as the same thing.  No big deal, will just set up one with a straight copper rigs with and the other with the braid for dipsey's? does that sound about right? really appreciate the help guys, tough being a newbie, lol

Braid works fine until the fleas show up and then its not worth the trouble of running it.  Best bet is get the wire for dipsy's and not have to deal with fleas.  And when the fleas are bad the wire gets them too, but  when that happens is manageable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SemperFish said:

Thanks guys, glad i didnt spool anything yet. I guess i confused copper and wire as the same thing.  No big deal, will just set up one with a straight copper rigs with and the other with the braid for dipsey's? does that sound about right? really appreciate the help guys, tough being a newbie, lol

I see you list Oswego as your home port - if you are in Oswego this weekend feel free to PM me and you can stop by my boat - can explain a few things to you and get you pointed in the right direction...

1 hour ago, AnglingAddict said:

I see you list Oswego as your home port - if you are in Oswego this weekend feel free to PM me and you can stop by my boat - can explain a few things to you and get you pointed in the right direction...

Thank you sir, i wont be up there this upcoming weekend but next weekend i plan on being there.  I will definitely get ahold of you!!