Flies, not the fish catching kind.

1 minute ago, Frogger said:

Has anyone ever tried one of those stable fly traps “sticky” types? It seems they have them specifically for these monsters. Was thinking of hanging one of a downrigger or something. In addition to the spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I worry a sticky trap would be completely covered with flies in about an hour but if you try it and it works please do update as any relief is welcome

Has anyone tried a citronella candle ?
I will next trip and report . 

I think they would take two wine glasses, pour the citronella out, drink it while having a candlelight dinner on your ankles. Honestly though I’d be careful of an open flame out on the water.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I tried a concoction I found online a few years ago. Consisted of pine-sol, dishwasher liquid, vinegar, ammonia and water. Sprayed it around the boat. Did keep em off for about half an hour. Had to spray often. Smelled terrible and made me gag. Also noticed a major drop in fish strikes probably due to smell on equipment so I stopped using it.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

23 hours ago, NyFallGuy said:

Those flies have been around a long time.  Brutal.

Here's a good little video on them:

The video " celebrates" a very different insect, smaller , more numerous, more persistent, and the bites are much worse.  Be thankful we don't have them here (yet)!