Properly Setting Wire Slide Diver Out Help Needed

I set up 2 slide diver wire rods this spring and have just put them in use. I have them set with 50ft of braid to the wire. I let out the braid and then snap the diver in just before the connection. What I am finding is that when I am setting the braid out the wire is somehow getting caught around the outer edge of the the spool on my magda 30's. There is a tiny gap around the spool where it sits in the housing of the reel, and the wire fits in but is a major struggle to get it free once it finds its way in there. Any suggestions on a better way to do this to avoid this? It must be caused by the wire not having enough tension as I set the braid out, but I cant think of a way to avoid that...

1 hour ago, whycanteye said:

Get rid of the magdas, I hate to say it but they're junk and you will always have that problem, I had some diawas do it too, I went to high speed convectors and have never had that issue again.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yup, that is a big flaw with the older Magda reels. Upgrade your reels, never had that issue with Convectors or Cold Water reels I use now. I remember trying to take my Magdas apart on the water with 100s of feet of line in the water to remedy this... huge PITA.

Edited by FishingFool34
  • Like 1

Well I bought the reels new for this specific purpose so upgrading them is not in the cards. I have run braid slide divers on Magda’s for 4 years with no issue and only did the wire because it was supposed to keep fleas off, but it hasn’t done that either haha. Basically has been a failed endeavor 

Wire won't keep the fleas off all together, but it's better than braid.  You can usually reel through them.

We have also had wire get in the spools on our Cold water reels, just make sure to keep tension on the line and you should be alright

clip the dipsey over when there is still one wrap of braid on the spool than pick up the rod and start letting it out under tension that way the wire is never slack.  

Hi Keith, when I set up my wire rods I use a small scotty rigger clip just in front of the reel so the wire stays tight on the spool. Then like said above, with the clicker on, loose the drag enough so the divers gets out slowly to it's depth and you will be fine.

Once diver is in water, back drag off, turn clicker on, put rod in diver rod holder and let the line creep out under partial drag tension - rod tip should be bent a bit. Retighten drag once at depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United