Yanking Spoons on leadcore.

I’m just courious if anyone yanks spoons on leadcore.  When i was 8-9 years old and started trolling for lake trout in canada with my grandfather and then kings on Lake Ontario a couple years later we always had a ten color out with speedy shiners and i would yank that all day giving the spoon a rapid increase of speed then slow down and fludder back.  We put alot of meat on the deck this way.  I haven’t ran leadcore since i was 12.  Now 20 years I’m wondering if anyone does this for kimgs.  My last trip up in the beginning of June fishing wasn’t very good and I didn’t have a leadcore combo so i ran my 400copper and just for the hell of it i started yanking it. after 30 seconds the line got ripped out of my hand and drag was spooling,only to come undone.  I got it out again and after 15 min i got about an 8lb king. Only two hits in 4hrs of fishing.  I’m just wondering if anyone still does it. I know i will be yanking away my next trip up. 

" Yanking " was an old method of fishing for Lake Trout in northern Ontario using a Williams Wobler spoon . The spoon was developed by Dr. Williams a surgeon in Niagara Falls Ont . Still available now ; the spoon was silver with a bend plus a ridge running down the center the hook would be baited , yanking produced a snap which was different form anything else at that time , it worked so well he went into business with it ! It is not a trolling spoon but has been used for trolling [ no success for us ] !

Give it a try !

I figured it was an “old method of fishing”. But it caught my grandfather alot of fish. I’ll be fishing out of Mexico Sunday aug25 tru the 29th.  Definitely gonna try sending leadcore down the chute and will post if it does anything for me

2 hours ago, Chowdaire said:

It’s an old method for walleyes too. Still works.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I was just going to say the samething. We use it occasionally on Oneida for walleyes, I have personally caught several fish doing it and it is a blast. It gets old very quick though if you aren't catching fish.

If you never tried it, it is cool to experience the feel of a hit. You yank for hours then all of a sudden the line pulls back jerkin.  Last trip when i had the first hit i would have lost fingers if i had the line wrapped around them. Probly a king cause it hit like a freight train.

I bought one of those spoons a couple year's ago. Caught a couple of nice Kings on it. For some reason I haven't used it much. Next time out you can bet it will on a line. I just Trolled with like normal, no yanking.

" Yanking " was an old method of fishing for Lake Trout in northern Ontario using a Williams Wobler spoon . The spoon was developed by Dr. Williams a surgeon in Niagara Falls Ont . Still available now ; the spoon was silver with a bend plus a ridge running down the center the hook would be baited , yanking produced a snap which was different form anything else at that time , it worked so well he went into business with it ! It is not a trolling spoon but has been used for trolling [ no success for us ] !
Give it a try !

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

I fish Lake George and Champlain often and yanking LC is by far, my most productive technique for lakers. I keep meaning to try it on Lake Ontario but I’m always getting distracted by the salmon and browns! I use mainly Sutton Flutter spoons, size 71 for lakes with a smelt forage base and 72’s or 38’s for lakes with Alewives. Tons of fun and the hits can be pretty exciting!! Can’t imagine what a hit from a King would feel like! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use it all the time when trolling in Cape Cod Bay while going after stripers using 5 or 6 ounce bucktails. It mimics the way that squid swim and fall back on the bottom. It also gives you a lame arm.

with all the zebra mussels on the bottom of Lake Ontario it will probably get you hooks full of shells and no fish.

The method of "jerking" or yanking" has been around for centuries and is still frequently employed on the Finger Lakes. There are many versions of it with many different kinds of line or wire and primarily weighted "sinking" lines and wire (e.g. single strand copper, monel, leadcore, or even braid with weights). It is still one of the most productive ways to fish for Lake Trout especially as it is a bottom oriented method.. The one caution though as far as Lake Ontario is that if using it wear finger and hand protection of some sort (e.g. leather glove or perhaps the first two fingers and thumb cut from  leather gloves) because of the presence of the larger fish and especially Kings which sometimes are mixed in with lakers on or near bottom. Also there is  the possibility of hanging up on bottom while trolling with wire and both these activities can result in severe cuts or even loss of fingers if unprotected.

In the first pic the spoon on far left is the Sutton #38, next the #71, third from left is the Williams Wabler (actual spelling) while the last one on right is a version flutter type spoon specifically for jerking wire (note the hook positioned so it doesn't snag bottom). The flutter spoons were normally run just off bottom on a three way swivel with dropper weight and leader from 2-25 ft., The Williams could be run that way off bottom  or by itself with a  lot of wire out on bottom. A more frequent method involves the heavier versions of the Sutton spoons changed out to a single hook - or the main method of using spoons like the Pfleuger #4 or #5 or Great Lakes #4 spoons (2nd pic) right on bottom and tied directly to the wire with a loop and haywire twist  without a swivel snap (middle pic). Another popular and effective lure type (3rd pic) is the flatfish, Heddon Tadpolly, or Twin Minnow (on or without leader) run right on or near bottom and the standard treble hook switched out for a single and inverted (stronger and less likely to hang up on bottom).

jerking.jpg

pfleu.jpg

ffishTM.jpg

Edited by Sk8man