close calls on the lake

Anyone ever get caught out on the the lake over night or have any good stories?

One of my close calls came years ago when I got caught 4- 5 miles out ( in a 17ft center console) in front of the Genesee river and Bradocks bay in thick fog and my gps died, and no compass on board. Used the depth finder to find my way south. It was dead calm so couldnt use the wave direction to get back. Needless to say I always have at least 2 or 3 compasses on board.

Also a couple yrs ago off the Genny but right in front of the river. They turned on the fog horn & scared the He[[ out of me. Then I remembered they don't blow a horn & got out of there. Calmed down & grabbed the camera.

FOG-1.jpg

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Remember the fast Ferry?

Well my buddy and I were way offshore out of Olcott,and fishing for steelies,one of those days when it was flat,but very hazy with some reduced visibility.

I hear my buddy say,hey,I think that's the fast Ferry coming towards us.So,I look towards the east,and see what i think is far away,a big box shaped thing, closing on us real quick.

Before I had time to get a good look,or to try and manuver away from it,it was on us.I know that they had radar,but he passed us mot very far off our port side.Let's just say that the writing on it was like looking in the side view mirror in your vehicle.You know,where it says "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. "

It scared the crap out of me,It was so close,that i could see all the little details on it,and then we had to deal with the wake.Not fun.All i could think of, was thank god it wasn't foggy,and that he did see us.

It's bad enough getting close to the freighters but this thing went so fast,that i could have never got out of his way quick enough.And i know that they'd have us on radar,but if they "ain't" watching the screen they don't see you.

And things like that happen,remember the Exon Valdez? The best thing that happened to us fishermen,was the good riddance to the fast Ferry.

Not on the big O but in the Gulf of Mexico, a charter boat I once hired for some grouper fishing, a couple of years later, became the victim of a 46 foot sea ray crewed by 2 souls, doing 30 knots in the fog...the skipper looked away from the screen of the radar for what he said was a short instance and never saw the fishing vessel anchored on a rockpile with clients aboard. The sea ray cut the rear of the 32 foot fishing vessel off and it sank rather quickly...one person died later at the hospital... and the captain was injured as he was thrown from the boat.... the sea ray was able to come about and lower the platform to rescue the people in the water. That's as close as I want to come to something like that....

One time out of Oswego in late July (90+ degrees) myself and three buddies left the dock in a hurry after lunch, the bite was hot. Upon getting to the breakwall and under power, one of the guys jumped out of his seat like and screamed like a friggin girl!!!!!!! STOP THE BOAT.. I was like, what are you screaming about. He said we forgot the beer in the cooler at the dock.

Thankfully someone was paying attention and averted a near disaster. :beer::beer:8)

One time out of Oswego in late July (90+ degrees) myself and three buddies left the dock in a hurry after lunch, the bite was hot. Upon getting to the breakwall and under power, one of the guys jumped out of his seat like and screamed like a friggin girl!!!!!!! STOP THE BOAT.. I was like, what are you screaming about. He said we forgot the beer in the cooler at the dock.

Thankfully someone was paying attention and averted a near disaster. :beer::beer:8)

Now that's a good crew member. Buy that man a beer. :beer::beer::beer: