Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jth21usa

Rudder extensions

Has anyone tried to make their own rubber extensions by simply bolting a bigger price of metal to their current rudders? 

Not going to work , the water pressure will wreak havoc on the whole setup .Not going to be  "aerodynamic " no reason to cobble up your steering system and that's exactly what your talking about.. . Do it right and have it fabricated.... In the Introduce Yourself Forum with the heading of Welding and Fabrication is the name of a shop that has done this numerous times . have seen his work and been on a couple boats that have had it done and it is the shizzle compared to the stock rudder.

Has anyone tried to make their own rubber extensions by simply bolting a bigger price of metal to their current rudders? 
Dont listen to other ppl
You can bolt on an extension without harm

I built these for my 11m

I also have friends who bolted on heavy aluminum flatbar to the rudder without any harm20180816_133109.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, stevietangles said:

Dont listen to other ppl
You can bolt on an extension without harm

I built these for my 11m

I also have friends who bolted on heavy aluminum flatbar to the rudder without any harm20180816_133109.jpg

Can you be more specific on what the build looks like and material? These are fantastic!

justin

How's the electrolysis with two dissimilar metals connected to each other under water ? I guess you can unhook your bonding  wires with this setup. Is there anymore drag created by overlapping the stock rudder with a wider piece of corrosion creating metal ?  How much time and money was needed vs having a professional upgrade done correctly ? With all the money you put into the sport , why cheap out on your steering setup ?  If I was looking at a boat to buy and it had the bolt on"s I would wonder what other short cuts were taken in the upkeep and then keep walking.  Do it once and do it right is how I like to roll.  But as stated above ,"don't listen to other ppl"  Although you did ask a question which might require listening to other people's advice.. So go ahead and do what you want it's your boat.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

11 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

How's the electrolysis with two dissimilar metals connected to each other under water ? I guess you can unhook your bonding  wires with this setup. Is there anymore drag created by overlapping the stock rudder with a wider piece of corrosion creating metal ?  How much time and money was needed vs having a professional upgrade done correctly ? With all the money you put into the sport , why cheap out on your steering setup ?  If I was looking at a boat to buy and it had the bolt on"s I would wonder what other short cuts were taken in the upkeep and then keep walking.  Do it once and do it right is how I like to roll.

Do it right is about $2000, 20 percent of the cost of my boat, for rudders, also it’s pretty fun building stuff.

Do it right is about $2000, 20 percent of the cost of my boat, for rudders, also it’s pretty fun building stuff.
Material cost me 200
1/4" aluminum
Build time was 4 hours
I pulled the rudders
Cut the sheet
Had to use a brake to bend the front of each plate
Clamp and weld
Drill and tap

I added a magnesium anode this season

No corrosion was noticed after 2 seasons

Steering torque increased a little.

I can troll in 3 to 4 footers and my AP barely has to make adjustments whereas before the boat was useless in 2 foot seas

And to bob

If you consider this cutting corners I bet there isnt a boat out there that you would consider buying

I've seen a lot worse than ppl using dissimilar metals for a rudder extension