Track setup

Putting tracks on my boat and just looking for any advice or do's and don'ts anyone with experience might have before I start drilling holes. I have 4 downeast that Im looking at various adapter's for. Two S-10 and two S-17. Also, if you could only run one down rod, would you prefer it on same side or opposite of the kicker motor? Or even right in the wash?

Thanks in advance 

We used 1/4” aluminum backing plates on the under side of our gunwales to reinforce the track. Use bolts with lock nuts.

Hard to say what side id use if I only ran one wash or back rod. The other day, i fished solo and ran the back rod on the non kicker side. It did well. But I have days where the kicker side back rod was good. Hard to say if that has more to do with rod position or bait choice. Id experiment for yourself. One nice thing about track is you can run holders in different positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

AZ was my plan for the S-10s. I like the look of the Cisco mounts there because I definitely need extra height and adjustability in the back of the boat to get around my weird transom/splashwell design. I'm going to mess with some nylon washers and see if I can get the 17s to tip like the AZ. Never an issue with the rod popping out tilted straight down like that?

I’ve got the fat AZ’s for downrods and Cisco long cradles for outrods and boards. I love the whole setup.

No issue with the rod popping out because you just grab the rod and tilt it up toward 90 deg and pull up on it.

Don’t have a pic of the full setup but what’s so nice about the tracks is you can change the configuration based on what you want to do and how many rods you can run in a given situation.

IMG_3947.JPGIMG_3911.JPG

AZ was my plan for the S-10s. I like the look of the Cisco mounts there because I definitely need extra height and adjustability in the back of the boat to get around my weird transom/splashwell design. I'm going to mess with some nylon washers and see if I can get the 17s to tip like the AZ. Never an issue with the rod popping out tilted straight down like that?

Ive never had an issue with my down rods popping loose. The angle of the pressure from the pull of the lure is different than the angle of pressure required to open the holder and remove the rod. I never move the position of any of my holders to remove the rod as chowdaire mentioned. I personally prefer my holder to stay firm in one place. I tighten my Fat AZ holder as tight as they will go.

Cisco also makes risers in different sizes if you need even more height. The center rod in this pic is on one of their risers.

Adjustments.JPG

3 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Ive never had an issue with my down rods popping loose. The angle of the pressure from the pull of the lure is different than the angle of pressure required to open the holder and remove the rod. I never move the position of any of my holders to remove the rod as chowdaire mentioned. I personally prefer my holder to stay firm in one place. I tighten my Fat AZ holder as tight as they will go.

Cisco also makes risers in different sizes if you need even more height. I should have another pic of their riser in use in my boat.

Ha. I totally misread his comment about the rod popping out. I see it now. Thanks,

And yeah. I move those Fat AZ's up and down fairly often. Especially if I start banging rocks too hard  I'll just push on the butt of the rod and tilt it up a bit. Still no problems with rods popping out.

I have regular and powder coated s-10s.  I have had my down rod pop out on me twice, but noticed it happened both times on the powder coated version.  If you are not careful, the powder coated ones do not seat properly.  Once I started watching for that, I have not had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hell musta frozen over, did I just see ole man with a trolling set up?
You'll like the set up, just make sure to tighten those holders down good first time and imprint the plastic disk into the ridges on the holder. Once they are imprinted with the grooves u can loosen a lil n start fishing. If you don't do that, holder can move on ya while fishing.
Best wishes fishing this year!

IMG_4015.thumb.JPG.a3434777bb4233f3511cc69d5bc6abe1.JPGcleat was in the way so I drilled the track to match and used it for the center mount

tempFileForShare_20200509-064347_33958778730169.jpegFB_IMG_1588989398319.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Smart man, imo an angler needs to be well rounded to maximize opportunities. Best wishes bending some rods bud!

My hands and arms are getting old and casting all day is getting tough. I’ll cast until I can’t and switch to trolling.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Lots of trollers... lots of casters...best guys can do both!  I like jerk trolling from area to area to give my casters a break from casting and change it up.  Usually troll a full spread at the end of the trip when guys are beat.  The ability to fish the entire water column is key and you can't do that without trolling AND casting!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...