Marine radio

Bassin Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Cant go wrong with a standard horizon unit. Get one with built in GPS. Inside the box are directions on how to register the unit with NOAA and the coast guard with your boat information. If you ever run into a life threatening emergency you just hit the red panic button and it automatically broadcasts your boat information and location to the coast guard. 

the units are nice and compact. Pair it with a good whip antenna and you’ll be in great shape. A vhf is standard safety equipment for big water fishing if you ask me. Regardless if you have a cellphone on you or not. And they aren’t really that expensive. Most of us probably spend more money on tackle every year than the cost of a good VHF setup. 

Edited by jigstick

I have a Standard Horizon 1600 and a Shakespeare Galaxy 5225 XT on my hardtop and with the wattage turned up I’ve reached ranges over 20miles. That antenna is more robust for use on hardtops. You didn’t mention what type of boat you have. 

if you don’t have a hard top you could go with a Shakespeare Mariner 8500 and be in good shape. 

Cant go wrong with a standard horizon unit. Get one with built in GPS. Inside the box are directions on how to register the unit with NOAA and the coast guard with your boat information. If you ever run into a life threatening emergency you just hit the red panic button and it automatically broadcasts your boat information and location to the coast guard. 

the units are nice and compact. Pair it with a good whip antenna and you’ll be in great shape. A vhf is standard safety equipment for big water fishing if you ask me. Regardless if you have a cellphone on you or not. And they aren’t really that expensive. Most of us probably spend more money on tackle every year than the cost of a good VHF setup. 

X2

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...

Good. You should be set. Check the cable end on the whip. Some don’t come with an end. Because you have to fish it through the mount then put it on. Make sure you have the appropriate connector to plug into your radio.