2020 WATERFOWL SEASON !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I hunted with 2 other veterans and my nephew who is a Navy officer yesterday. We killed some birds and had a great time telling stories and catching up. I tried to get my 90 year old father, a Korean combat veteran, to go, but he didn't want to. I am starting my 4 nights of work and will not be able to hunt on Saturday. Thanks to all the veterans and safe hunting.

• 3 weeks later...

I was doing a little scouting this morning and saw 2 cops with their lights on at a fishing Access "parking lot" . Didn't take long to see why cops are there...... Dumb azz guy setup decoys from the parking lot and decided to hunt from there. And the guy had a kayak "go pedal to the actual marsh in the back....."

Unbelievable I wanted to pull up and say something to them. as in "your the reason why areas get shut down" is from dumb asses like yourself. Next thing you know the state will turn it into a refuge or sanctuary of some sort.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

30 years ago, I in fact did hunt off the ice shelf at Russel Station during the late season. Lots of guys did, but of course the cops didn't like it one bit. One time, they sat on shore and refused me access to return to my vehicle, on behalf of RG&E. Luckily, one of the neighbors took pity on the stupid kid and told me I could access shore through his property. He even told me, right in front of the Greece Police, that I was welcome to hunt there whenever I wanted. But even young and stupid (and new to the area) as I was, I recognized a lost cause and never went back to that sh!t show. 

• Like 1

I unfortunately had an owl come down and smash the grill on my truck on the way to my deer stand. I'm still picking feathers out of it.

Oddly enough, thirty odd years ago I also hit an owl, that one being the first snowy owl to have shown up in the Hudson River Valley in many, many years. As I found out after making some calls, the Audubon Society had been following the owl, and they were understandably devastated when I told them I'd killed it. I did, however, donate the carcass to them. Lots of stink eye from the folks that came to pick it up, but what can you do when an owl decides to land in the road in front of your vehicle when you're doing 35 mph?

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2020 at 6:46 PM, Gator said:

I unfortunately had an owl come down and smash the grill on my truck on the way to my deer stand. I'm still picking feathers out of it.

Oddly enough, thirty odd years ago I also hit an owl, that one being the first snowy owl to have shown up in the Hudson River Valley in many, many years. As I found out after making some calls, the Audubon Society had been following the owl, and they were understandably devastated when I told them I'd killed it. I did, however, donate the carcass to them. Lots of stink eye from the folks that came to pick it up, but what can you do when an owl decides to land in the road in front of your vehicle when you're doing 35 mph?

Holy Moly!  You are the only hunter I have heard of that has ever taken a Snowy!  Although unintentional.

Nice story .:rock:

Why not,shoot only dakes! The brown ones lay eggs, a drake only limit make for a better picture. 
You'll learn.
I'm not going to wait around for a drake if I can take 2 and be done.... All things die some die sooner ..... You'll learn.

• Like 3

Longsurs, This was not meant as a knock, you certainly have the skills.I understand quick hunts and getting the dogs involved. More about ****ing about limits,I have been there!  Both hunters and fishermen, progress in stages,learning, early sucsess, sucsess, numbers, details.   Kill whatever you like!  And, support local Duck clubs.

Longsurs, This was not meant as a knock, you certainly have the skills.I understand quick hunts and getting the dogs involved. More about ****ing about limits,I have been there!  Both hunters and fishermen, progress in stages,learning, early sucsess, sucsess, numbers, details.   Kill whatever you like!  And, support local Duck clubs.
All good mink !!! We are all on the same team.

Great morning !!! Had a pair land 1 min early but stayed to late and i water swatted them as my buddy got 1 out of a small flock that was coming in . Then a group of 3 came in and he got a drake . Off to DD for coffee. Duck was banded in talbot county , maryland 12/21/16. weird date to band birds but1607439488524.jpeg

• Like 1