Cleaning up a 1992 Baha 280 weekender

Hachimo

So I thought it would be pretty cool to start a topic and post my progress along the way. Originally I was gonna sand it down and paint it becouse of how oxidized it was but after doin a little wetsanding I brought a small area back to its original beauty, and decided to wetsand and buff the entire rig.  (Also the boat wont fit in my 14ft high garage if I pour the floor cause the door is 12ft high and I wont spray without a concrete floor)

My plans for the boat is to wetsand all topside paint with 1000grit, then 1500,followed by 2500.  Then use a medium cut polish and  pad on the buffer, then light cut pad and polish quick, followed by a glaze with final pad. Bottom side will get hit by 80grit on the DA to take off years of paint then brush on new bottompaint. The entire cuddy has been scrubbed and cleaned spotless.  Spent 8hrs with the carpet shampoer and it looks like new.  
    So I’m 2 weeks into it now:headbang:   Wet Sanding everyday 3-4hrs after work.  I finished the entire back. Removed decals, Wetsand ,and polish.  Looks great.  That was last week. So far this week I have the starboard side of the hull done with 1000grit and startin the 1500grit tomarrow after work.  
    Definitely alot of work doin this to a boat of this size, but the finished product is definitely worth it.  I think it may even be more time consuming then if i sanded, filled the scratches, and painted. But definitely cheaper.  I painted my 1986 trophy 2460 4years ago and between sanding,filling,painting,buffing I was around 50hrs on it. I’m thinkin with wetsanding the Baha I will be close to double that.  

51C2ABA4-12D7-44B6-A64B-DDD58E40E955.jpeg

A53325BE-55BB-47B2-BB9F-76B90049743D.jpeg

BDF1B509-7B88-4031-980B-7465D4330F7D.jpeg

670BBD92-5B99-4814-B0CF-843F10B4F806.jpeg

40EA3C79-B016-4E6E-AA7E-FF7EA653DD76.jpeg

32BD2357-9235-4D8A-AB46-7F19ABBB8B43.jpeg

56438635-E48C-400F-A5FE-348F6FB05A78.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thumbburn said:

And the new name will be?????

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well people say its “Bad Luck” to change a boat name. I don’t believe in luck. Believe more in Karma and what cones around goes around.  
 So the wife and I been discussing knew names since we bought it in late July. I Want something original and has somewhat of a meaning.  Not easy nameing a boat.  So far I’m leaning toward “BloodLine”.  I havent seen that name on a boat around but I’m sure its out there.  Who knows but as of now its BloodLine. 

3 hours ago, Misdirection said:

You might be better off renting a sand blaster and soda blasting the bottom as opposed to trying to sand the bottom paint off.

But nice job so far!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I have a sandblaster but no way is that animal blastin my boat.  Lol.  I blast bulldozers and heavy equipment and can’t back down the psi’s enough.  A cheap sandblaster may do the trick thou.  Thanks for the idea thou.  I might grab one to save a little time

Well people say its “Bad Luck” to change a boat name. I don’t believe in luck. Believe more in Karma and what cones around goes around.  
 So the wife and I been discussing knew names since we bought it in late July. I Want something original and has somewhat of a meaning.  Not easy nameing a boat.  So far I’m leaning toward “BloodLine”.  I havent seen that name on a boat around but I’m sure its out there.  Who knows but as of now its BloodLine. 

I think that’s a great name Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Misdirection said:

Most yards use smaller blasters with sodium bicarbonate to blast the bottom of boats. Makes pretty short work of them.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

That sounds like something I’m gonna look into.
Ur not leadin me in a “Misdirection” mr. Misdirection are u? :lol: Lol

1 hour ago, Todd in NY said:

It looks like the dog is doing all the work, and is taking a much needed break :sleepy:

Hachimo is a real piece of work let tell ya. I polished all the plastic window frames and layed them on the ground to dry.  Then he piss’s on them. :headbang: maybe he was tellin me I missed a spot. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 8:07 PM, Hachimo said:

how about a partial name change....."good" Medicine? lol 

BTW your dog is a hilarious....great pic lol. 

• 5 weeks later...

Took a little time off from workin on the boat to get my bear tag filled.  Thats done so back to the boat.  Had rain days the last two days so I got the bottom paint all blasted and half of it painted. Lookin real good so far.  Now workin on getting my styker remote control spotlight hooked up and a 25watt solar panel ontop the hardtop.  

9E690930-0C88-4F0A-AC91-2C43E3F3E0DA.jpeg

B7673BF7-63BA-43F7-BFFE-45A3C21DC2F3.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks great!

Care to share what you are using to blast the bottom paint off?  Looks like the 40lb harbor freight set up.  I need a bottom paint removal and repaint job bad, would really like some intel on hows your taking it off, and what you're putting back on.  Looks like we had similar bottom paint situations.

Thats a 15lb blaster from harbor freight. And I’m using Baking soda as a median. If I had to do it again I would of gotten the next size up blaster. It took longer to fill it with powder then it took to blast.  Harbor freight has 50lb bags for $40. It took 4 bags to do my bottom. As far as repainting I’m using the rust oleum anti microbial bottom paint.  I bought a quart thinkin it was a gallon so I ran short. I believe it was $40 a quart and I need two more. 

No. Just bottom painting. But  Dont take my word on it thou cause this is only the second boat i have bottom painted. Lol. 
pressures.  120psi was best but as runnin it would drop and i would cut flow to rebuild Psi. My garage isn’t finished yet so i dont have my compressor hooked up. Using a DEWALT gas powered and it had a hard time keepin psi’s.  

Its only the start of November and I cant help it but the ten year old in me comes out and i sit in the captains chair pretending I’m trollin for kings:lol:   Got my 25 wat solar panel in and the charge controller all hooked up.  Just waiting on the brackets to mount to the hardtop. 

084DF42B-D0AA-471D-BEA9-0B634859CC71.jpeg

76476120-9882-4C66-AC99-FCB4616D538F.jpeg

• Like 4