Question for Fly Tiers (Trolling)

Bought a fly kit from Purple Taco for the youngest, thinking it will give him something to do over the coming winter months. Read a post where it was suggested using aquarium tubing instead of bullet heads, as it allows you to change flies by sliding them off the leader.  Anybody ever use the tubing on their flies?  Does it work as expected?  What size tubing would we need?  Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.  

1 minute ago, VanderLaan said:

Bought a fly kit from Purple Taco for the youngest, thinking it will give him something to do over the coming winter months. Read a post where it was suggested using aquarium tubing instead of bullet heads, as it allows you to change flies by sliding them off the leader.  Anybody ever use the tubing on their flies?  Does it work as expected?  What size tubing would we need?  Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Im using 1/4" clear vinyl tubing. You can buy it at your local Lowes store. It is great to be able to swap out leaders or flies as needed.

I started using the tubing years ago,But switched to the fly heads for the last 2 seasons. I drill the hole in the fly head larger before I tie them up, able to change leaders just like the tubing. Either way works well.

2 hours ago, VanderLaan said:

I use 1/8" poly tubing on the Gambler Rig skirts.  I buy it in bulk.  A lot of places carry it cut into 4" sections.  I buy it in 100' rolls.   You can cut it down to the length you want.  You can get the starter kit at FISHUSA.  HMH Starter Tube Fly Tool | FishUSA