Safe to put Boat in Water?

InTheBox

Hi Guys,

When do you think its a good time to put the boat in the water. I want to put it in this weekend. Never put the boat in this early before but with ice out and the future forecast in the 50's it hard not to.

Thanks for any info.

Pat

That's a hard ? to answer. It depends on what the surface temp is as well. For right now I'd say 25 ta 30. I'd be a bit nervous unless you do what I said above. Bottom line if you have no way to drain it or get power to it. I would say it's early yet. There are still going to be some good cold nights. Especially where you dock it. It was only 17 here this morning.

Pat,

It was in the lower teens up on the lake this morning, I would wait till we can get that water temp up a tad bit more, or we have nights above freezing. Down where you have your boat does not get much sun, so it will not warm up very much. JMHO, I am figuring mid April for ours. Good Luck, it is not worth cracking a block over BT's just yet.

Rich

It is a three thousand dollar mistake if you don't take appropiate measures. I ran the non-toxic antifreeze thru my engine right after fishing this weekend....and kept it in dry dock for peace of mind. If I go out this weekend :yes: , I will do the same. I have an I/O. A jug of antifreeze from Autozone is $3.99.

IntheBox,

I have an I/O and each year when I pick it up from the marina where I store it, it is "summer-ized" which means they put all the drain plugs back in and run it with water coolant. My Merc. has to have the hardest to reach drain plugs of any engine known to humankind so I let the marina put them back and I leave 'em in. Nonetheless, I'm always petrified each year when my boat is sitting in the driveway for three weeks before we launch. Listen to Hank r/e the shop light in the engine compartment - it really works and is easy if you have power access. Last year I hung one under the engine cover and I put a thermometer in with it and it reached almost 60 degrees from just one 100 watt lightbulb the following morning even when the ambient air temp. was around 25 or so!!!

Good luck -

- Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Dear ALL!!

Today Tuesday, the temp. has been below freezing since 1:00 AM at the Roch. BUOY!! The wind is blowing 15 mph out of the west and the temp. is 27 F!!. BETTER DRAIN right now!! The wind and temp. will destroy a lot of unprotected engines today!!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill