Newby is at it again....Releases??

Ok, here I go. I am getting the new boat all set up. I have settled on Big John Electric downriggers for the corners and plan on dragging a couple of Shark #15'ers around the Lake. Here is where the questions start to fly. After reading all the posts on the Boards about who uses what style release and why, I think I have a handle on how to use Black's and Chamberlain's between the termination of my rigger cable and the Sharks:

aV1T779.jpg

aV1NRn9.jpg

Using them as depicted here:

aV1TNwA.jpg

Now I want to add a second rod to each rigger and the choices appear to be sliders or stackers. I have heard numerous people say that Roemer Releases are what I should use for a fixed stacker. I have not been able to find anything that shows clearly how this is done. I see that Cannon has a fixed stacker that connects right to the rigger cable at the desired depth.

aV1Vnii.jpg

Anybody use these?? Do you like?

How does this thing connect to my cable? How is my line attached to it? Probably explains with some kind of instructions with the package at purchase, but I would like to figure it out before I buy.

Pq22ztr.jpg

I have also seen that Legendary Products makes an Elberta Clip'er Fixed Slider as sort of a "Cheater" to add an additional lure to a single rod. I assume this is used in the Mupped rig style I have read about?

aV1Ybor.jpg

Don't want to get too crazy until I get some time working single rods off the riggers (picture myself with a rat's nest from hell of a bunch of twisted cable and line) :( But eventually I will get there. A couple more questions and I will be done. How the heck are the offshore stackers used?? What connects to the cable? Line? The two pinch pad thing is throwing me. Also, do you twist the line before you put it in pad?

aV1ZR9r.jpg

Last Question: Now I need to add a FishHawk X4. How/where does the probe attach in the whole set-up? Does this change how the releases are used?

Thanks for your patience with this long post...I figured this was a good way to practice the Image posting feature so that after you all have schooled me all up on how it is done, I can get out there and do it...Posting pictures of the Whoppers caught along the way! I look forward to your replies!!

Very nice post!

You just cant go wrong with the blacks releases. I havent used the chamberlains so I cant speak for them.

The Legendary Products Elberta Clip'er is simple to use and works great for fixed sliders. Roemer also makes the "liberator" fixed slder thats works great too. Both of them work great for mupped rigs.

I dont stack my riggers to much anymore but when I do I use the roemers. I have offshores on the boat too but I prefer the adjustability of the roemers. With offshore releases they have a snap swivel that attaches to the downrigger cable, then you take one of the pinch pads and place that on the downrigger cable where you want it, then place your line in the other pinch pad, and your fishing.

Dave,

Here is a picture of the releases I use

gx1ZGZi.jpg

They are from Scotty and are very simple to use. You put the clamp any where you want on the down rigger cable and then just place your line in the pinch pad. They have worked very well for me, they hold big dodgers and release on most fish. I still get a few shakers that wont release them, but most of the time I don't have to worry about it. Just another option. I haven't ever tried the blacks or the roemers so I can't compare them to anything else. I'm sure someone else probably has though. Good Luck

Blacks on the bottom & Roamers for stacking. Should be able to figure out the roamer once you get one and study it for a second. The only thing different I do is after clamping the line at the top I bring both tag ends down one side and then thru the clip going the same direction rather than a cross.

A big king on 30# big game can destroy can cut up the release pretty bad if you cross them.

CC

Blacks for me. Have been using them for 30 years. Also use them for fixed cheater and stacking. I make up a plastic barrel with a plastic thumb screw that fits in the gap of the release. loosen 1/4 turn and they drop down the cable. Will post photo when I find time.

A good old toothpick wedged in the hole of the black also works. I have one fixed and two slider blacks on each rigger.

HM

• 2 weeks later...

Cable , release, probe, short probe saftey cable , weight. Release is the above the rest.

When I am stacking a second rod on the rigger I used to use the offshore, it was quick and easy. Now I use just the two riggers and run the dipsies off the sides. If I can run another rod its a leadcore or copper down the middle. The rigger rods usually have a slider , fixed or free on them.