Can a iPad clone the display from a Lowrance HDS gen 3 display?

chowder

I’m not savvy with this Bluetooth technology or iPads but I was finally watching my Lance Valentine Vimeo tutorial on the HDS gen 3 and he mentions controlling the HDS unit with an iPad so I am figuring you must be able to see the screen to do that. I’d like to have an iPad in the back of the boat to see my screen when I have customers on board and I am busy helping them in the back of the boat. Any help on this much appreciated . ( I have an HDS 12 for sonar and a HDS 9 for gps/radar mounted in the wheelhouse)

I don't know how an iPad would work, especially in the direct sun and rain but I have an old HDS gen1 hooked up to my Gen3's via an ethernet cable.

I can see the screen from the Gen 3 and drop waypoints from the back of the boat using the Gen1.  

Not looking to add another $creen to the boat. iPads are wireless ,can be fitted with simple glare hoods and waterproof covers, they are used in many industrial automation settings because of low cost (good,used ones around $50-60)

Just in case anybody is interested in this topic (hint: you probably should be- wait n see): 1.) YES, it's very simple to link a HDS gen 3 to a iPad, Lowrance purposesfully made it that way. 2.) YES, you can use the iPad to see AND DO evrything you would do as if you were at the helm or wherever the head unit is mounted. 3.) VERY SIGNIFICANTLY, at least for me as charter capt without a mate, you can use the Lowrance autopilot commands from the back of the boat which is awesome!!!) 4.) numerous people have reported that by turning brightness all the way and leaving the iPad plugged in and using a polarized screen cover and waterproof cover (an investment of about $30) there are no significant issues with visibility or potential damage to the ipad screen. 

So, I think I'm gonna give this a try before I put the salmon boat away. probably gonna learn the hardway that a cheap $60 used iPad isnt the best econo option but what the heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

• 3 weeks later...

Chowder,

Just a heads up that the HDS 2 units would not allow a wifi connected device to do autopilot functions.   

I was told by Lowrance it would do "everything" , but it wouldn't do autopilot. They failed to mention that when I inquired.   Just want to make sure you aren't disappointed as i was. 

I sure appreciate these insights! I still might go the ipad route for the sonar display but I do have a 2nd smaller display mounted in the wheelhouse that I use for gps/radar that could be linked to my big display and re mounted in the stern. That boat is now winterized but with this critical piece of the puzzle fleshed out by you guys I will be able to strategize this winter much much more accurately. THANKS!!