Movable TransomTransducer?

chowder

I'm trying to figure out how to make a Garmin PanOptix system composed of a PS30 transducer and a Echomap 943 XSV into a setup I can transfer from my one boat to the other. The main thing required to accomplish this ,or so it seems, will be to make the transducer movable. Anyway, I saw this thing Transducer Mount – SeaSucker . anybody with experience something like this, or anything like it, I'd like to hear it.

I the old days I had one with the suction cups .....you definitely want to have a safety line attached especially with a valuable PanOptics transducer:smile:

Just buy another transducer.  If you have the cable routed properly it will probably not be easily removed.  If you plan to route the cable for easy removal it probably.will not be proper for good protection.  Best thing to do is get another transducer. 

11 hours ago, Smat64 said:

I use a c clamp and mount the ducers on aluminum angle iron.

3E23FF37-FFCA-4177-BD43-4EC1BF840811.thumb.jpeg.b83591beec868c1eea0f8cfa4e099000.jpegFBFAA5CF-BA06-4FBA-AD56-39462D0F158D.thumb.jpeg.cf588014828ccc7784a3e464d7fb659e.jpegThis only works with certain types of transoms. 

17D2F14E-8464-42BF-94B2-45E80637A5A3.jpeg

That's a very clever and interesting approach, do you deploy that aluminum angle iron when you start fishing or do you have it like that when yer steaming out/in.?

13 hours ago, lrg355 said:

Just buy another transducer.  If you have the cable routed properly it will probably not be easily removed.  If you plan to route the cable for easy removal it probably.will not be proper for good protection.  Best thing to do is get another transducer. 

I'm guessing you aren't familiar with the PanOptix technology. The PS30 Transducer is over $1400 alone. I'm a cheap bastard and that's enough to get thinking very 'creatively'.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:15 PM, Sk8man said:

I the old days I had one with the suction cups .....you definitely want to have a safety line attached especially with a valuable PanOptics transducer:smile:

OMG , I guess so!

:lol: I always pulled the transducer out when underway and not trolling too Andy.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I do run it at full speed. Thats for both Hummingbird SI and fish hawk. 

the head unit is on a track and have alligator clips for the battery. 

i also add parts from a tip up for the ice.  

A4BD0AA9-32C8-4B91-93E5-6D49827D439B.jpeg

BAB324A6-592F-4364-9995-1FA2B40EFF5F.jpeg

• Like 1

I did just get a great tip about a movable transducer strategy from Shannon Littlefield, who, if you don't know is the regional rep for iTroll iTroll Precision Throttle Controller. His suggestion is to level and mount a piece of Cannon or Bert's track on either boat transom and make up a plate for the transducer so it can be moved like some people move rod holders and trees on the tracks up on the gunnels. I thought this was hell of a good idea!

• 5 weeks later...

Ended up having Hank at L&M make a set of transom plates that he drilled and tapped to which the S30 transducer (very large and rectangular) bracket can be fastened. Then I ordered a 2nd bracket for the other vessel. Now all that is required to move the transducer is to pull the 2 pins holding the transducer in the bracket and move it to the bracket on the other vessel 

• Like 1