WIRE DIVER RODS!!!

Looking for recommendations on a decent rod to be used for a wire diver setup.

It will be ran off the side of my 17' boat with a rigger and long line. Would like to stick to a closed eye rod just due to price of the rollers

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to wire diver rods and was sent the following link by a fellow LOU member. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184982323137hash=item2b11ce3fc1:g:eOcAAOSwEtZg0jEc

I have them rigged and ready. They seem decent for just getting into it. Have yet to use them. The guy selling them on ebay seems to have other setups as well. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

for my inside (shorter rod) divers i use diawa wilderness 8'6" meadium heavy rods model WDDR862MHR

not specifically called out as diver rods but i use them with #5 chinook divers and just replaced the tips with twilli tips.  they are some of my favorte rods to hit a king on.   very budget friendly way to start out and figure out your exact preferences before dropping tons of money on gear.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ifishy said:

for my inside (shorter rod) divers i use diawa wilderness 8'6" meadium heavy rods model WDDR862MHR

not specifically called out as diver rods but i use them with #5 chinook divers and just replaced the tips with twilli tips.  they are some of my favorte rods to hit a king on.   very budget friendly way to start out and figure out your exact preferences before dropping tons of money on gear.

If I was only to run one diver a side, would you run it as a high or low diver? and what rod length would be best?

I would use whichever was better for the depth I wanted to fish I like the shorter rod if I'm only fishing one diver I have 10.5 foot ugly sticks when I want to run two on a side. If I want the divers higher I'll use a #4 Chinook if I want them deeper I'll use a number 5

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You mentioned that you fish from a 17 footer. Those boats are narrow and tend to go sideways when weight distribution in your boat changes. (You stand up or move sideways)Taking it from there, you should try to balance everything you can. Like have the same gear on each side of your boat. To easily fish a 17 footer, try and keep your rods on the short side. I used 7 and 8 footers. The only long one going out of the stern.  It prevents rods from getting caught in each other or the net. For wire line rods I had 2 8.6 footers with roller guides. They cost a bit more, but they work very well with wire line and will save money in the long run.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I used okuma dipsy rods with a twili tip in the past for wire sets and they were OK I guess. I scored big in a single lot of tackle I bought a few years ago as there was a couple of Shimano Talora roller rods in the 8 ft. flavor included. Paired them with my Tekota wire reels.....wow butter smooth and a dream set-up for wire. Perfect length too IMO. When I was running a 17.5 ft boat I learned to stay away from the 9-10 ft long rods.....not enough room.

I also love my braid diver set-ups and run those all the time except during flea season, like now. 50lb Power Pro on Saltist reels and super cheap Shimano TDR 8 fters. I actually prefer it over the wire and catches plenty of fish. The braid is so forgiving especially with new guys learning to set-up the gear.