Raymarine X-5 Smartpilot Autopilot Seatrial

momay4000

We dropped the boat in for the year today and had an opportunity to test our new X-5 Autopilot on my 21' Trophy. At several people's request, here is our observations:

1.) Outstanding user's manual - very easy to follow calibration instructions

2.) Calibration wasn't too bad, other than driving in circles about 10 times for a half hour.

3.) One calibrated, the unit held its course very nicely today in two foot seas with a decent NE wind in front of IBay

4.) There is a decent amount of steer/counter steer when the pilot is "on", so I hope the unit holds up in the long run

5.) The steering unit is a bit noisy

Overall, I am extremely satisfied. Certainly some of my excitement is having an autopilot for the first time. However, only time will tell if it holds up for the next few years.

Hope this helps,

- Chris

Thanks Chris for the report. I'll be interested what you have to say as the season moves on. I've been eyeing that unit since last year when Ray' announced that they were reintroducing a helm mounted unit to their line. Please post again later in the season.

Thanks for the report Chris. It sounds like there using the same helm drive as the Sport Pilot with a separate computer. Hopefully they made some changes to the drive or they'll have the same problems as before.

Chris;

I have the older sport pilot plus unit on my boat. I have had to send it in every few years for repairs. lets hope they have beefed up the helm unit drive. I have not calibrated the unit yet this year, drive in circles for 1/2 hour. Still use it and holds reel well.

Helm unit looks the same as mine. :headbang:

Mark

I have been looking at this one myself.....nothing more frastrating then dropping/pulling the lines in the wind by yourself.......please post often. Maybe a group purchase may come out of it. Always up for a discount on this top priced equipment.

Dave