I think I've read all the posts on tackle, equipment and technique, but I have a few questions that weren't previously answered. At least I didn't see the answers... maybe I missed them? I am new to wire...

Anyways, hoping you all could answer a few more questions for me. Thank you very much in advance. I have already learned quite a bit from what I've read here.

Okay, first question is: Has anyone here tried running the Okuma DX series of reels for wire? Mainly thinking the DX30 as it is most comparable to the Accudepth 47 I've seen mentioned a lot here.

The reason I ask, is that I have a couple of these reels and would like to use them if possible.

Next question: Will a regular dipsy rod (say a med/heavy 9'6" or 10'6") work with wire line or does it need to be rated for wire line?

Third: I read in another post that the new wire won't cut through a rods line guide like the old days. However, I have heard that a twili tip will also help keep wire from "wearing" at the pivot point while trolling. Any sense to this? I would think for the small cost of a twili tip it would be worth adding it just in case. Agree or disagree?

Fourth: I see BigJon sells a heavy duty rod holder for use while running wire line and dipsys. Is this heavy holder necessary or would my existing multi-set Big Jons be okay?

Fifth: Where do you guys buy 1000 foot rolls of wire? All I'm finding is 300 and 600.

And my last question... the one you were waiting for... Will wire wear out the "guides" on a level wind reel? Do you have to do anything special to the reel to keep it from wearing?

I know that's quite a few questions for one post, sorry. I appreciate any help, even if you only have time to answer one of the above. Thanks everyone! :D

Edited by jobsite

I can help you out on some of your questions.

#2. No need for a special wire rod, a normal dipsy rod is fine.

#3. Add the will tip if you have the time, but its not a problem if you leave the original tip until it shows signs of wear.

#5 www.mcmaster.com (not sure of the item number, but if you search the lou site, you will find the details.)

Jobsite,

I just ordered 2 spools of 1000' of 30 lb wire from www.captgarys.com

Ask for Vinnie, I paid around $34.00 a spool. McMaster raised their prices and will not sell a 1000' spool anymore. As far as rod tips, you can get away with just the regular tip if it is not grooved yet, and then change it when it starts to groove. Depending on how many times a year you use it you may get years out of it before you need to change it. I have never heard of the guide on the reel wearing out due to the use of wire, as of yet. Your Big Jon multi's should be just fine for dipsey use, as long as the unit is mounted securely to the boat. Good Luck, and welcome to the wire rod crew. It will produce a lot of fish for you.

Just make sure that when you spool the reel with the wire that you put it on as tight as possible and then let it out the first time out with a 1lb ball and then reel it back in. If itis not on tight it can and will cut into itself while fishing.

Rich

To answer question 4, In my opinion for what it is worth. Get the heavy duty. I use the Big Jon stanchion mounts that you refer to for certain applications. Ex- spring time fishing for browns, use of a core rod, etc. But when it comes to pulling a dipsey- wire, braid or mono, cut no corners. There is alot of drag on this, and with the amount of jingle invested from rod, reel, wire and rigging at the working end, what it the sense of taking even the slightest chance of losing a rod overboard. Personally, the current Big Jons that you are now using for most applications will work fine. But here again, have a savage king or steelie strike a wire dipsey rig off one of the stanchions, and you may wish you invested it the heavy duty. Been using them since they came out many years ago, and have nothing but good to say about them.

Okay, first question is: Has anyone here tried running the Okuma DX series of reels for wire? Mainly thinking the DX30 as it is most comparable to the Accudepth 47 I've seen mentioned a lot here.

The reason I ask, is that I have a couple of these reels and would like to use them if possible.

I have 6 DX30 on three of them I had to have the drags repaired. I only fish in Lake Ontario 8 to 10 days a year. The DX30 I have seem to stick every now and then...........that said I bought two new reels for wire (Tekatas 600LC)on Lake Ontario (I have used the DX30 on Seneca with out any problems BUT) I don't trust the drags enough to use them for wire dispy's. Still use them for the riggers but I alway (I hope) pull a little line out to make sure drag is fine. If it sticks I pull that one up and throw the reel of to the side to be rebuilt.

Thank you very much for the quick replies.

Sounds good...

I'll run the rods a while and only install twilis if needed.

I'll spend the coin to pick up a couple other reels... I figured the Okuma drags may be a problem.

I saved the names to order the line soon.

And you're right I should invest in the heavy duty rod holders just in case. Main reason being that my multi sets are triples on a pedestal. My luck if anything let go it would be the pedestal and then I'd be out three rod holders! Best price I've found is about $95 for a HD big jon holder... anyone know of a better deal?

Thanks again everyone. Hoping to have everything ready soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Jobsite, I am also using wire setups for the first time and have okuma magd 30 DX reels. I have heard about drag problems with these reels but only after I purchased I love these reels for downriggers. I have puchased 2 Bert's custom rod holders and 2 17" track system all on ebay and all new for about half the price of Cabellas. Also bought 1000' of Malin 7 strand on ebay for $24.00 a spool. I have to try and find deals as bugets are tight so I buy a lot on ebay. Good luck PJ Weber