Kicker Throttle Control

My kicker is rigged with remote throttle.  I use this in conjunction with my TM to maintain speed and heading.  The trouble i run into is the ease the throttle lever gets bumped or just moves while in use and the RPM's move, normally down.  I know there are electronic throttle controls systems out there, just wondering if there is any manual twist knob type throttle controls even if it is engine mounted.  Thinking like some of the older equipment and tractors had.  Seems like this would hold the setting better and possibly be able to fine tune the speed more easily. Thanks 

You would be better off looking at electronic throttle controls like Trollmaster and Control King.  They are designed specifically for kicker applications and holding small throttle settings.  I spent many years in tractor and ce business and the small gas engine controls weren’t designed usually for low speed operation and generally were pretty crude.  Most were designed to be used at wot.  The electronic kicker controls are very trouble free and easy to install.  My personal preference is toward hard wired units vs remote control as I feel less chance of problems like dead remote control batteries.

I have a control king on my 2022 merc 15 hp. Kicker. I find it to be WAY too sensitive, moving the dial a fraction is usually too much or too little.  This was after paying another $20 for a larger diameter throttle mounted disc that was supposed to help. I moved the mounting position on this disc over the winter so maybe that will help but so far I’m not thrilled with it. 

X2 on Troll Smarter on my 9.9 Merc Pro Kicker. Fantastic customer support,  hard wired head with optional key fob type remote. I keep it clipped to my vest along with the Minn Kota remote.

speed and steering from wherever I am in the boat.

Bought a used trollmaster 3 off eBay and installed it this week. There was still quite the jump in speed. Did some more digging and found some have had success adjusting the idle mix screw. Pulled the brass plug and made some adjustments to the screw. Backing it out and manually giving it some throttle. Found a spot where it advances smooth and does not jump or stumble. Backed it out a turn or more to get there. The. I adjusted the idle speed to 975-1000 RPM(with one of those cheap tiny tach add ons). Lastly I moved the point where the trollmaster cable attaches closer to the pivot on the arm. Testing it in a bucket it seems smoother overall. Will check it in the am on the lake. 

Edited by tyler.woodard04

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone running a troll smarter on Suzuki 9.9 efi? I recently purchased one but it didn’t come with mounting instructions. I really just need to see where the servo is mounted and how to run the throttle cable.