Frozen Mercruiser Block

jigstick

Im pulling my boat out of climate controlled storage tomorrow because it is the only day I can do it before memorial day.  I keep my boat by Dunkirk NY, and Saturday and Sunday low temps are 32*.  Highs in the 50's.  How concerned do I need to be about any block damage from freezing water?  My motor is not winterized because I keep it in climate control.

I can't put it off unfortunately.  Schedule dictates it comes out tomorrow.  I have a temp probe I can hang in the engine compartment to keep an eye on the air temp in there.  I thought about throwing some blankets in the dryer, throwing them over the engine, and then throwing my arctic sleeping bag over the whole deal.  Probably won't make a difference but who knows.  My last resort was going to be running the engine off the garden hose to get its temp up, and pray that the block stays warm over night.  Am I wrong to try this crap?

Should be drain screws. I believe on mine there are two per side. U can download a manual from mercruiser or check the net. Doesn't take long

Just drain it - look on the bottom half of the sides of the motor for 4 brass T shaped wing nuts. Spin them and poke the drain holes with a wire to knock the rust and then the water should drain out. If you really want to be crazy you can also remove one engine hose at a time to get the last of the water out. Better safe than sorry in my book.

Just drain it - look on the bottom half of the sides of the motor for 4 brass T shaped wing nuts. Spin them and poke the drain holes with a wire to knock the rust and then the water should drain out. If you really want to be crazy you can also remove one engine hose at a time to get the last of the water out. Better safe than sorry in my book.

Agreed it;s not worth the worry just drain the block My 4.3 litre Mercruiser has 6 drains 1 each side of the block below the exhaust headers aft of the engine and 1 on the bottom of the exhaust Mani both sides as well as on on the risers both sides. I also pull the hoses and leave them off Takes all of 10 minutes to do and you don't have to worry

I drain all spring and fall after trips.( 4.3 mercruiser)  Four drain cocks in the water manifolds, I pull the lower water pump hose, drop the lower unit and turn it over. Takes 10 mins and beats losing sleep and checking your thermometer all night worrying .