Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. The smaller Tohatsu and Merc motors are made in Japan.
  2. Often Sarcoptic Mange Rob
  3. Brunswick owns Merc Whaler and many other boat companies....huge conglomerate (Bayliner, Lund, Crestliner, Rayglass, Searay etc.)
  4. Good to know thx.
  5. Never too late for the experience Justin
  6. That pic should go in a frame Shawn He's hardcore.....always a good sign at that age
  7. Dave's Bait an Tackle  (315) 209-4115 1421 Turnpike RdAuburn, NY 13021
  8. Looking good Kevin
  9. After looking closely at that first example I am struck by the arrowhead shaped scales down the center line and the very elliptical shape of the eye which looks as though t is tilted in an upward position.....none of the examples of baitfish I have looked at seem to have those features.
  10. I operated the Main Street and Park Ave lift bridges in Brockport for 2 years. They did a lot of maintenance on the canal during the winter months and sections were pretty dry but as mentioned there were intermittent pools and many of them froze over but areas such the Wide Waters between Palmyra and Newark and other areas of the canal (Adams Basin ?) has sufficient water to maintain many fish of different species.
  11. Great post JJ
  12. Sk8man

    Canandaigua Strange Trip

    She is hard core Dan and great that she gets out with you....enjoy it while you can....as soon as they discover boys and get into the teen social stuff it all signs of normalcy in going places with family can disappear
  13. Not as sure about the salmon but if no access I would imagine they would do the same. I know about the browns for sure as I have seen it repeatedly both on the Fingers and at Sodus Bay
  14. Holy cow Sean it seems like just last week your daughter was born....man is time flying
  15. And during the Fall streams especially the smaller ones may have unsutiable waterflow levels to support spawning (and on the Fingers they may be totally dry) so the fish spawn in other areas near the shoreline or even in marinas.
  16. I guess it is good that I also have my previous heavy duty stainless one piece holders for the divers two to a side no pins no adjustments Thanks for the heads up John
  17. I just set up 6 of the dual axis Cannons mounted in 18 inch tracks on gimbals and they seem pretty sturdy and have flexible positioning and they seem well made. I also bought one single axis version to test out. I very much prefer the dual axis ability to position in different directions; especially for running multiple wire setups along with inlines. Obviously they haven't been subjected to the time duration variable and heavy usage but I very much like them thus far.
  18. Thanks. I guess from my standpoint I would never go without a kicker. I have been stranded without one only once when I first got my first boat and I said never again. Luckily it was on Seneca and my buddy came to my aid. I know a lot of guys are comfortable with a single engine but especially on lake O it is placing your total trust in technology...I guess I have trouble with that It seems that engine problems always appear at the absolute worst time too and having a new one is a step in the right direction but no guarantee. I'm no mechanical or motor expert so I kinda go with my own experiences for whatever it is worth for 50 years or so of boating so the advice should be interpreted in that light I guess. As far as make and model motors they are all getting more reliable and more gas efficient, but gone are the old days of putting in new plugs or adjusting the gap or changing out a power pack etc. The engines are much more sophisticated electronically, but also more complicated and expensive to fix and more potential things to go wrong. Having a four stroke is nice as it eliminates the oil mixture factor, and they seem to have more torque. With all that said you don't want to under power your boat either as it could make the engine work harder to get it up on plane etc.and maybe even be less fuel efficient in the long run. For primarily fishing use you also want one that will troll down and not load up and be within the weight range and HP max for your boat. I know this will sound like a cop out but I would suggest talking with a good engine tech Like Jeff Linkner at Seager Marine in Canandaigua or Fran Barrett at Barrett Marine in Waterloo. Hank at L and M on here on LOU may also be able to give you great advice as far as the pros and cons. Hope this helps at least indirectly Les
  19. If you decide to go Merc Barrett Marine in Waterloo (between Geneva and Waterloo) are very honest and competent folks and they have on hand most Merc parts etc.Fran and Deb are a couple of the most knowledgeable folks around.
  20. Very cool John and a great service you are providing
  21. Cletus give yourself a pat on the back for getting "Mr. Perch" to open up about the perch
  22. Question : How will the bobcat keep up with the boat on the water and does it have a pontoon base or something? Seriously, Great looking top
  23. Sk8man

    Canandaigua Strange Trip

    Nice going Dan.
×
×
  • Create New...