Lake Erie bite

Gill-T

I haven’t heard too many walleye reports this year other than a decent night bite out of Dunkirk. In a lake with tens of millions of walleye swimming around  I would have thought I would hear more chatter.  

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates?  Ross Robertson’s bigwater podcast episode with Dr Chris Vandergoot discussed a delay in big spawners getting to the Western shoals this April. I think this means the fish will be late getting back East. 

Fished Buffalo last weekend and got 9 on sticks and worm burners. I think the daily pressure from the Southtown’s tourney really slowed things down. 

Went to Dunkirk on Sunday and got 7 and lost a few at boat. Slow pick but there are fish around.  I needed to stay west of Van Buren point to keep a decent screen and get the few we did. Not hot and heavy yet. Dipseys out 140 on a three setting with worm burners were our best but we did get fish on five and seven colors with sticks as well.    

• Like 1

all the reports I've been reading on another sight are giving good reports. if you find the right depth you will get good fish and not as many dinks. but if your not in the right depth you catch mostly dinks and farm animals. but these reports are coming out of the south side of the lake in the central basin. it seems some are getting a few fish as shallow as 55' but others are doing better in 58' to 68'. hope this helps in your search.

• Like 1

Sounds like if we don’t get the SW winds cranking, maybe mid-July the Ohio fish get here. I was hoping to get into them in  June ahead of the LOC summer derby. Better reports on Ontario 

For me, it's been slow.  Couple trips out of Buffalo and a couple out of Catt with nothing much to show.  I worked the weigh station for the STWA derby the first Sunday of the derby and only a handful of fish were weighed in.

From talking around, it sounds like the night bite went later into the month that it normally does.

I think on years of no ice coverage, the emerald shiner migration into and out of the upper river doesn’t happen. The local East homebody Walleyes have to go roaming to look for food as a result. 

• Like 1

Was out at Barcelona all last week for the derby. Lots of fish around.  20”ers wanted suspended crawler harnesses.  Big fish wanted cranks.  Lotta bycatch to contend with, but if it’s limits ur after they def can be had.

• Like 2

Thanks for the report. Looks like a road trip is in order. I have never fished West of the Catt. Are fish near the harbor at Barcelona or do you have to go hunting for them?

There was a big whack of fish west of the harbor down by the PA border, and we ran into several pods of very active fish east of the harbor to van buren.  It’s a 12 mile stretch.  Drive around in 45-60’ and you’ll see them…unless they move….if the water temp stays consistent I doubt they will…the big west wind last week didn’t move them.  More active fish will be suspended.  Like I said the eaters didn’t want cranks so much last week, of course that can change as well.

• Like 2

Thanks. With the 10’s of millions of walleye in the system, nobody should be shy about posting a report. Lots of fish for everyone when they get here. I don’t think they have reached the Catt in any numbers as we noticed there were only 4 boat trailers in the Hanover lot when we stopped in to the fish cleaning station. 

I won’t take my boat there either. Those gaps in the concrete are going to pop someone’s tires. My brother has cottage down there so he gets the season pass. Not sure what they charge to use the fish cleaning table. Nice set up for fish cleaning though

• 1 month later...

There are eye’s available- getting wind to cooperate has been an issue lately. Dunkirk offshore buoy has been active.  Go to GLOS.org then Seagull to get info.  Provides avg significant wave height and temp profile.  Wave height being an average means that if it shows 3 foot you probably have some 4’s mixed in.  Accurate weather info more important than fish report IMO.

• Like 2