Magnum vs Standard Spoons Size - Salmon

I've exclusively been running the DW Standard or Michigan Stinger Stingray size spoon for kings on riggers and dipsy divers. I recognize there's a place for the magnum sized spoons, but am kind of unclear when to go with the larger size. Any insights?

1 hour ago, TriMatt307 said:

I've exclusively been running the DW Standard or Michigan Stinger Stingray size spoon for kings on riggers and dipsy divers. I recognize there's a place for the magnum sized spoons, but am kind of unclear when to go with the larger size. Any insights?

I mostly run Stingray sized spoons but run mags all season.  Divers or coppers are usually rigged up with Mags.  Dont be afraid to run them for browns too!  A lot of guys are hung up on small spoons for browns but I have taken my two biggest browns in my career on mag spoons.  

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Thanks 1

I am out of the Kingston side of Lake Ontario,  but frequently troll the American and Canadian sides of Duck Islands. 

My unscientific hypothesis,  is by using large spoons (only size I use out there),  you get bigger but fewer fish.

This past Sunday,  4 big lakers, 34-37 inches,  trolling solo, with only 2 lines out,  but rarely catch small  or medium salmon or trout (@2.3mph)

Same for Walleyes,  larger crankbaits. 

Good luck. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/12/2023 at 9:13 AM, Fly n Fish said:

Sometime matching the size of the bait the salmon are eating helps.  Take a look at their stomachs when your cleaning fish

I’m not saying you’re wrong at all, but the amount of Salmon I’ve caught over the years, it just hasn’t seemed to matter. IMO it’s reactionary. This year has been great with the Hawk Mags, but when that’s most of your spread, that’s what they’re gonna hit. Our biggest is a 35# taken in the 80’s on a Andy Reeker in the summer….