Cayuga Time to liven up the board

I have to agree. DEC did a good job of reducing the lamprey population on Cayuga. Hopefully Seneca will follow suit. It took a couple years to get the lampricide treatment and stream conditions to match on Cayuga. Once the treatment is successful it takes out four years of the larvae stage.  For those that weren't around during those days lamprey attachments were not only on the rigger balls, many times they were also on the boat transom. 

0907131020.jpg

Is anybody Perch fishing on Seneca?  I heard gossip about the Lodi Pt. area.  I have a great view of a lot of Seneca and seldom see anybody fishing in summer or winter.  Does anyone have ideas on how a school of alewives can be distinguished from a school of perch on the sonar screen? 

I don’t fish for perch on Seneca only Erie and a little on Ontario. I fish for walleye on Erie and trout n salmon on Ontario and Cayuga.What I typically see when I am looking for perch in 30-70fow on my Lowrance HDS screens is the bottom looking like the edge of a small, fine saw blade, this signature is very distinctly different than what I see when looking at Alewife pods in 50-200+ fow on Ontario or Cayuga on the same sonar set ups which are typically suspended and non linear blobs. I’m sure I’ve got perch and emerald shiner signature pics somewhere I’ll keep looking 

Edited by chowder
Info added

Thanks, Chowder, for explaining what a school of perch looks like on the screen (pictures would be great).  In the old days, the big challenge was finding the perch first, and the rest was easy.   It seems that sonar can be a way of seeing and staying with a school.