Bird Nest from Hades

OK, This was a really stupid thing to do.

Trolling along in about 12 fow and one of the lures gets hung up on the bottom. I'm obviously not going to stop the boat, so I reach down to the rod without thinking and hit the spool release. ZING goes the spool about hundred miles an hour and continues to free spool peeling line all up inside the reel. The good news is the lure is free of the bottom, the bad news is that the pole is not being used for the rest of the trip as there is just no untangling that mess.

In case you didn't know, I am kind of new to this trout and salmon trolling.

Any ideas or advise on what is the easiest way to fix this nasty mess? Do I just cut off 1000ft of line? It sure seems impossible to untangle. What should I have done in this instance?

My reels are Okuma Magda45's if that makes any difference with this issue.

no doubt your gonna spend a few minutes snipping and cleaning the line off that reel and respooling..... when i get in that situation depending on line weight and whether i want to lose that lure i will either cut the line and keep going or stop the boat loosen the drag on the stuck rod and let it run out that way while i clear the other lines and turn the boataround

todd

Dave

Obviously what you do is don't hit the spool release. What I do is loosen the drag as far as it'll go then turn the boat in a circle & head the other way. 90% of the time the lure will come loose when you about even with it and you can reel it back in. Remember if you free-up a snag, to cut off a bunch of the line as it's probably all stretched out.

Sounds like you have a cutting job to do. Use toe-nail clippers.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Hey Dave, don't feel bad, last spring I started to let line out on a diver. I flipped into free spool and a solmon hit at the same time, I couldn't reel in or let line out, just hung on till the fish ripped off and I knew better than do that. :(

Dave, I don't know what was your drag setting at the time of the snag up on the bottom, and since you said you were in 12 fow you were probably flat lining or pulling boards, but if you have your drag set just enough while you are trolling at the speed you want, so it does not spool out, you should be able to just let the reel spool out against the snag without any interaction with it until you can bring in your other equipment and then turn around to retrieve the lure. You might have to just slack off the drag and leave the clicker on to let it spool a little more freely. The trick in catching the bottom is like catching a large salmon....don't have your drag set too tight, especially with wire or braid (no stretch). Just enough to keep the reel from ticking out at troll speed is good. It keeps the tackle intact and fewer lost lures. Hope this helps.

PS...Birds nests are not uncommon. Some are just down right disgusting and need total overhaul

Mark

PSS...Dipsey trolling drag settings are best when the drag is set just enough so that it ticks out on the clicker a couple of times a minute or two at the speed you are at. Same reason is the viscious strikes from large salmon can break your equipment while pulling a dipsey set to tight on the drag.

Get out the knife then the wallet for new line. Chalk it up to experience if this is the only lesson your lucky!!!

----This is one reason I use Big Game line --- Cheap Cheap Cheap!!

You could always free spool with your thumb on the spool-- :o another lesson :o

CC

Well next time a newby ask for advice , you have something to share :rofl ;) We have all done it. Becareful not to nick the sides of the spool when cutting the line off.