for sale : usa WTB Carolina classic 28 or Albemarle 28

Looking to upgrade interested in a 28 Carolina or Albemarle before I look into a tiara / pursuit.  Any leads would be appreciated 

thanks Chris 

Carolina Classics had a water ingestion issue with some motors.  Read up on it.  I had this discussion with one of my customers.  He lost lots of fishing time due to this issue.  

Interested in Inboard only , newer years 2000+ 

the water injestion issues from what I have read seem to be on the older models plus there’s a kit that can be purchased if it has not already been addressed which I will investigate if I find a 28 at that time 

Edited by minion

Although beautiful looking boats, I have noticed the Carolina Classics in my area are like the game hot potato. New owners end up selling them soon after buying them. Not sure if it is the ride or the aforementioned engine issues or other. 

2 hours ago, Earl28 said:

If it's any engine issue is that not an issue with all boats that use that engine?

Yes it’s more of an engine issue … something to do with valves not closing fully so it can recirculate exhaust gases for better  emissions… depending on engine shut down when docking etc if a valve is in a certain position can allow water to enter motor seems to be mostly Volvo and merc mpi motors … crusaders do not have that issue by looks of it ? 
im sure Hank or someone more knowledgeable will chim in at somepoint lol 

• Like 1

A great resource for the Carolina Classic:

https://www.carolinaclassicboatowners.com/

I found my current Carolina 28 on that forum that a member listed before putting it on the open market. I had been looking for a 28 for a few years and hadn't found the right one so last year purchased a 1998 Carolina 25 and ran it last year, sold it at the end of the season to buy the 28. Only reason for selling the 25 was the 28 I had been looking for with gas engines and no tower in budget was finally found so I did sell the 25 and only had it for one season.  Both brands are well built heavy boats.

There is a lot of info on the water ingestion issue on that forum.  The 25 we had was one that had the original Volvo engine replaced in 2007 with a Crusader from the Carolina Classic factory and the Crusader was a great engine.  

Edited by KennyC
typo

10 hours ago, Earl28 said:

If it's any engine issue is that not an issue with all boats that use that engine?

Actually it mostly depends on the exhaust manifolds risers height in relation to the exhaust height on the transom itself . The higher the riser or engine itself in relation to the transom or corner exhaust the better . Water ingestion mostly ,not always ,happens when you come off the throttles quickly , the exhaust  flapper is still open , the water comes rushing up to the transom and into the exhaust pipe and is forced into the riser  then the exhaust valve itself . I've never personally heard of that happening when trolling ,even in rough seas as the engine flappers are burping off and on along with the engine not breathing hard . I could be wrong ,but that's my understanding with what I've read and heard of this issue . 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Call Steve Carlson at Clemons Marine in Ohio

Thanks I contacted them several weeks ago, said he would save my contact info if one became available…. I wish the cc on the YouTube videos he had posted was still available! 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:16 PM, KennyC said:

A great resource for the Carolina Classic:

https://www.carolinaclassicboatowners.com/

I found my current Carolina 28 on that forum that a member listed before putting it on the open market. I had been looking for a 28 for a few years and hadn't found the right one so last year purchased a 1998 Carolina 25 and ran it last year, sold it at the end of the season to buy the 28. Only reason for selling the 25 was the 28 I had been looking for with gas engines and no tower in budget was finally found so I did sell the 25 and only had it for one season.  Both brands are well built heavy boats.

There is a lot of info on the water ingestion issue on that forum.  The 25 we had was one that had the original Volvo engine replaced in 2007 with a Crusader from the Carolina Classic factory and the Crusader was a great engine.  

thanks for the link I will check it out … 

how does your 28 fish ? Do you use it for Great Lakes salmon fishing ? 

I stepped on one outside of Boston and I could just feel a difference in the construction and quality/ stability vs other boats I have been on. 
the captain spoke very highly of the hull and said it would take what ever was thrown at it 

We are rigging it up the 28 to fish Lake Ontario for this season.  Needs electronics yet.  Only ran it one day last fall, it handles a head sea very well.  It's gonna roll in the trough trolling but I figure if you have to choose between the two I would rather have a softer ride on the cruise through rough weather.  The 28 definitely rides and feels like it is larger than it is and is a tank.

Trolling bags will settle it down in the ditch . I use G2 outfitters , there  bags  IMHO are best ones out there . Probably going to need them if you have fuel injected engines , as they have a ECM that controls your idle rpms vs a carburetor that you can adjust . 

Edited by Bozeman Bob