Fish On Herring Strips

I know that there has been some interest to the new Fish On Premium Herring cut bait. I contacted the company just this morning and inquired about its availability on Lake Ontario this year. I was assured that it would be available, from a distributor in possibly a few more weeks. I have a call into them as well to confirm. Was also told that they sent several trial packs out to some who had nothing but good to say about the product. I am in no way affiliated with Fish On, just trying to pass along some info that I know some were hoping to hear. This is packed in brine in lieu of the oil that they used to use. This will be somewhat along the lines of the old Rhy's Davis product. :) --Duane

Chrome, can you expound on your statement about alot of people not pleased with the sample. Reason I ask is that I was just told today that the new premium was first being introduced to lake Michigan ( this week) then filter its way to Ontario. On top of that was told that only a few samples were sent out for trial to Ontario? And those who had used it were pleased. Just wondering where you heard any negatives about this, for I have a case on order ( 36 packs) and many friends who are asking for it. I know there were problems when the old style was packed on oil, but thought this would be somewhat corrected by packing in the current brine being used- Duane

Chinook,

I tried to order a case of A grade strips from Jason at Fish On. First I was told that the cost of overnight shipping was prohibitive. When I told him that the cost was not a concern , he told me that they would only ship to dealers. Could I ask how you were able to get a case shipped to you? I am still interested in purchasing the cut bait, but I seem to be getting the run around.

Chinook 35- When I saw the add on the GLA site, I called Calumet Marine @ 708-862-2407, and talked to someone when they first made the post. They in fact told me that they would do a shipping order since I wanted a whole case. Then a day later they made the post about doing in house sales only. I then called back to confirm that they still plan to send and was told that they are indeed. The cost of the case was $115.00 -( for 30 packs of premium, but now they are packing 36 to a case so I see) and I told them to pack on dry ice and add whatever the shipping charge is to the bill. So having said that, I'm at their mercy now if in fact they honor their promise, to answer your question about how I ordered. Again, I talked to a rep about the availabilty on this on Ontario and was told that it will be available in less than a month.-Hope this helps-Duane

Chinook,

Thanks for the reply and update. I am trying to keep my optimism concerning this product . I hope it will be available . I still can't believe Rhys Davis has not come up with a way to preserve their cut bait in order to meet the DEC guidelines. Any DEAD fish can be used if it is brined and not just frozen.

I got mine thru the mail last winter from Capt. John Kings web site. He has the new stuff but didn't rate it yet.

Fish On Bait Company

PO Box 51411

Jacksonville Beach, FL. 32240

General Inquiries:

Phone (904) 241-6008 Fax (904) 241-6012

Email: [email protected]

Sales & Retail:

Main (904) 241-6008 Direct (904) 241-6013

Email: [email protected]

Ed, thanks for the follow up for Stan. Was gone all last night to Pittsburgh- Way to Go Pens :) - The Pirates were on the losing end however. The stuff you ordered last year from Kings' is that the old style packed on oil ? As far as contacting Fish On - I don't believe they will ship to an individual however. So those interested will have to either place a phone order to a distributor , or hope that the distributor for Ontario does in fact come thru. I have a few calls into them but no return phone call. Thus the reason I pre ordered it. Hind sight being 20-20 what some of us should have done is got an order together and bought in bulk. Still hoping this hits Ontario for I know many who like myself still have a lot of faith in the meat.-Duane

The stuff I got you have too prep yourself (whole herring) or use his super mag heads. He had details on his site how to do this when he was selling it. I think he will be selling the strips IF he finds out they are good. The stuff they are making with out the oil in it is reported better because it freezes solid where the oil would not. If I hear any more on his site I'll let you all know here..........but not Ray K............he be baitless in his buffy mode..... :lol:

Here is a update posted on his site today.

Let's debut the new 2009 Herring Strips from Fish On Bait Company today. The new strips are a step up from the product they introduced back in 2004. These new strips are firm being about 3/8" thick and around 6" long.

I'm trying to find out more about the herring strips from Fish On - I purchased the new stuf yesterday from the Boat doctors and the weather was the pits so I am waiting until this afternoon. I have been looking to see if anyone else has tried it and it is looking like I am the only one with the new stuff. Did anyone else run the samples? They look decent - and don't need to be frozen - although you can freeze them. They are brined - and certified VHS free - I'll post you a pic when I figure out how to do it. It is a lot better than the old stuff they had - firmer fits those Rhys Davis and Challenger heads we all have. I can't wait to get out there and try it - 2 hours yet.