Close Call At Irondeqoit Bay

Jimmyi

I got out for the first time today since my back surgery in August. I went to Irondequoit Bay and thought I would try for some perch and pike. I bought a new plastic boat seat that has the wire clamps that you tighten down on the rowboat bench seat with two wing nuts. I thought I had it tightened down enough. I was getting ready to leave and started casting a Rapala and hooked a huge pike. I got the pike into the boat and as I leaned back, the seat pulled right out and I went in backwards. I'm not a good swimmer so I wear a life vest all the time. It happened so fast and I held my breath as I was falling in the water. It took me a little bit to get up to the surface and I had been wearing hip boots. I tried to get back in the boat and I couldn't lift myself up. I have a heart condition with five stents and now I'm hanging on to the boat in about twenty feet of water and I'm starting to get cold. The boat is stilll anchored and I can't go anywhere but hang on to the side of the boat. The hip boots want to keep pulling my legs under the boat. Thank God there were a couple of guys fishing in the area. I started yelling to them that I needed help. I didn't want to let go of the boat and I couldn't turn around to see them. I heard them start their motor then it cut out on them and they had to restart it. It seemed like forever. They pulled up my anchor and towed my boat to shore with me hanging on. I was then able to climb back into my boat. It was a cold ride back to the boat launch. I always keep an old coat and a quilted shirt behind the seat of my truck in case of emergencies. They came in handy tonight. The Good Lord was watching over me tonight for sure. Those two guys saved my life.

Hey Jimmy sorry to hear you took a cold swim in the bay I'm glad those guys were there. I have to agree with the guys about the boots. I don't even wear normal boots on the boat unless they have side zippers. On a brighter note I'm happy to hear your healing up and back out on the water. We're looking forward to seeing you back at work. Spring trout is only a few months away :)

Chris M

Thanks Guys. I learned several things. Don't wear hip boots or waders when your out in a small boat and don't use those clamp on seats unless they are clamped down real tight. Wearing a life vest in a small boat is a good idea.

I never was a good swimmer but being in that cold water with a heart condition didn't help either. I preach a few Sundays a month at a local nursing home to the shut ins and I guess my time wasn't up yet.

sOME GUYS WILL DO ANYTHING FOR A GOOD SERMON.... glad alls well with another LOU. family member. Were all here for a reason and your post may have saved anothers life....After a farting accedent last year i always bring extra clothes (well at least undies)... If you got the guys names give em the LOU site info so we all can tell them how much there actions are appreaceated ...Thanks.

Ray K.

sOME GUYS WILL DO ANYTHING FOR A GOOD SERMON.... glad alls well with another LOU. family member. Were all here for a reason and your post may have saved anothers life....After a farting accedent last year i always bring extra clothes (well at least undies)... If you got the guys names give em the LOU site info so we all can tell them how much there actions are appreaceated ...Thanks.

Ray K.

I been going through the phone book trying to locate these guys and making all kinds of calls. I wanted to bring them a fruit basket and gift certificate for Gander Mountain.

i had a 16' jon boat with a 28 horse jet (river ride) this also had clamp on seats that would loosen up. i took 1/4 X 1/2 lags and a large washer. placed them at the 4 corners of the wire clamp that goes over the seat edge. never moved again. i never fell overboard but had several close call before i screwed them fast!! glad you survived your learning experiance LOL.

i had a 16' jon boat with a 28 horse jet (river ride) this also had clamp on seats that would loosen up. i took 1/4 X 1/2 lags and a large washer. placed them at the 4 corners of the wire clamp that goes over the seat edge. never moved again. i never fell overboard but had several close call before i screwed them fast!! glad you survived your learning experiance LOL.

Thanks for the tip. I was debating if I should just get rid of them or figure out some way to secure them so that never happens again. I was thinking of connecting a small chain under the row boat seat from underneath to the wire clamps.

Jimmy...i'm glad your ok. We got rid of those clamp on seats years ago,even when tight,they lift up with any side to side motion.Get the bolt on type,but not the ones with the high type bases,because you sit up to high in a rowboat,changing your center of gravity.The low base seats work great. Also, never wear waders,hip boots, or any other rubber or leather type boot that doesn't have laces or zippers. Warm winter boots are ok,but only lace them up ,loosely,2 or 3 eyelets,so they can be kicked off quickly and easily in the water. And most importantly,if your in a rowboat that doesn't have a motor, keep a length of rope tied from one handle to the other handle in the back of the boat.Make sure it is long enough so when it is draped over th transom,it will hang about a foot below the bottom of the boat. In case of an emergency, you can then use the rope as a "step" to get yourself back into your boat, or anyone in the water,you can get them in by using it as a step also. Never try to get back in from either side, it will roll on you. If your boat has a motor on it, tie a loop of line from either handle on the back of the rowboat, so that it can hang in the water about a foot below the depth of your prop You can step into the loop with one foot,then the other foot onto the plate above the prop,then haul yourself up and into your boat . Good luck and good ,safe fishing in the future. choo choo

Jimmy...i'm glad your ok. We got rid of those clamp on seats years ago,even when tight,they lift up with any side to side motion.Get the bolt on type,but not the ones with the high type bases,because you sit up to high in a rowboat,changing your center of gravity.The low base seats work great. Also, never wear waders,hip boots, or any other rubber or leather type boot that doesn't have laces or zippers. Warm winter boots are ok,but only lace them up ,loosely,2 or 3 eyelets,so they can be kicked off quickly and easily in the water. And most importantly,if your in a rowboat that doesn't have a motor, keep a length of rope tied from one handle to the other handle in the back of the boat.Make sure it is long enough so when it is draped over th transom,it will hang about a foot below the bottom of the boat. In case of an emergency, you can then use the rope as a "step" to get yourself back into your boat, or anyone in the water,you can get them in by using it as a step also. Never try to get back in from either side, it will roll on you. If your boat has a motor on it, tie a loop of line from either handle on the back of the rowboat, so that it can hang in the water about a foot below the depth of your prop You can step into the loop with one foot,then the other foot onto the plate above the prop,then haul yourself up and into your boat . Good luck and good ,safe fishing in the future. choo choo

Thanks for the valuble information. I hope other folks read your post. It might save someones life.