Trophy Tiger water in CNY??? make it happen!

I was reading the DEC's Otisco Lake Volunteer Angler Diary Cooperators report from March 2009. Due to the increasing quality of the tigers population, it suggests that there may be some consideration of rasing the minimum size to create what amounts to a trophy tiger fishery. From the report:

"It may be time to consider a higher length limit for Otisco tigers to take advantage of the lake’s excellent growth potential. We would be interested in hearing your opinion about increasing the minimum length to either 36 or 40 inches."

I would encourage anyone to weigh in on this and share your views with the DEC region 7: [email protected]

Since it doesn't look like we're likey to get pures stocked into any new lakes around here, this would certainly be a welcome addition which offers a slightly different perspective and approach than targeting pure muskie. there are plenty of other local waters to catch an eater pike or if for whatever reason people feel the need to bring home a tiger muskie. :@ I personally would also advocate that the minimum length be a bit higher, say 45- to make it an honest trophy fishery :yes:

if you want to view the report its here http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/r7otisad08.pdf

thanks

NM

i fish for huge fish all the time. size always matters. im all about catch and release. id let it go if it was a world record. i once let a 20 plus pound sheephead go. there should be a catch and release only fishery for them considering synthetic mounts can replicate their features just fine. my first 50 inch musky went right back after one picture and a 2 hand horizontal hold. im to young to share opinions with the old coots on this site though. my 2 coins

Can tigers reach that length ???

the new NYS record is 46...came through the ice of otisco during the period covered in that report. the report mentions a few others logged via the diary program approaching that length as well...some not to be returned :no:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

good idea,nitro. i wrote 'em with my 2cents,which is a 50"limit. what i would really like to see is "possession prohibeted" for all muskies like they have on sturgeon. we all have cameras so what good is a mount? i have a 50" mount that my dad caught. after i croak it'll end up in a dumpster. that fish may have spawned a couple more times.

i agree w/ a higher size limit- have fished otisco a couple times and think that the locals keep a good amount of tigers. it seems that every tiger pic i see from there is from someone fishing off that point w/ suckers and a dead tiger. good idea but we have seen lately that even when the season is closed, muskies still get killed by fisherman. will we ever win?

Did that record hold up, its been a year now and it hasnt been recognized on the dec records yet

I should've clarified, that this was a world record for tiger taken through the ice but the only NYS records list I've seen is what I believe is the all-tackle record.

I've not seen nor heard that it hasn't held up, but I've then again i've not seen any official list of ice fishing records, only the 'general' records. I imagine this would fall into a 'line class record' of some sort? your question sparked my curiosity, so I tried the IGFA website, but they only have the all tackle records available to non-members.