Question about the future...??

raider44

I have a question that might seemed a bit far-fetched but it is a legit concern of mine and would like some advice/suggestions. I have been thinking of buying a new boat (used but recently new). With all the push these days for an alternative fuel source, what would happen to gas prices if that were to happen?

I do not want to spend a good deal of money on a boat and within a decade new cars come out with a different fuel source and the demand of gas becomes lower and lower... would the low demand cause a high raise in gas prices? Gas is already a big deal for boaters, and if prices continue to rise, for whatever reason they could be a bigger deal.

I doubt fuel prices will come down in the future. I would guess theres alot better chance of them going up. You got to decide if it's worth it to buy that boat or not. As far as alternative fuels, when we get to that point there will always be the option to repower.

When I bought my first computer I kept putting it off because technology in that field was growing by leaps and bounds. I ended up going 2 or 3 years without a computer and when I did buy one it was old technology in about a year anyway. LOL

Who knows were we will be in a decade. Might be spending Yuan unless this Government wises up.

Good luck with your decision.

Glen

Dear Troy,

Gasoline is going to be with us for a very long time. It took 100 years to get to where we are now. I have seen the price go from .50 to 1.00 a gallon around 1975. I got out of a big boat in 1993....27 ft with twin V-8,s (2.00 a gallon then). As the fuel price goes up....usage goes down on on any motorized vehicle. $4.00/gallon prices will certainly reduce motor/boat operation for the struggling masses. $5.00/gallon will cripple the US economy and your pleasure in operating your boat. Alternative fuel sources will not be cost effective or cheap. Your ability to economize fuel consumption in your boat will be foremost if you are an active boater. Electric batteries for the "green cars" run from $6,000 to 10,000 dollars every five years. They have their place in the big city and would die instantly without government subsidies. Gasoline will always be with us.....but will you have the income to pay for it? I still have a 23 ft. boat that I can use almost anywhere and it is on a trailer in my back yard because that's what I can afford on a limited retirement income. Don't worry about the availilibilty!! Worry about the price and whether or not you will be able to pay for it!!!!

Respectfully submitted, Jet Boat Bill

Nostradomis said, BUY THE BOAT AND FISH YER ARSE OFF. 2 years from now we are likely to be nothing but gas! :rofl::(

drink as much :beer: too as you can. Maybe heaven has beer now :wondering: ....OK, where is the other side of that Myan calender :time: must be on the underside of that big rock they been chislin on...hmmmph...uhmphhhh :muscle: It's too heavy :headbang::swear: that did it...broke my head open on it...what were we talking about :drunk:

They are makeing a kit to convert cars to cng( compressed natural gas). So far from what I have read they make an adapter so you can fill your tank from your home natural gas supply. Right now the kits are not cheep but as things progress I can see the price dropping some. So at the very least we will have to swap out our tanks for fuel cells and be back on the water :yes: As far as refueling I guess that will be up to a marina to make it available.

Raider,

Stay on this site for a few years and your gas consumption will be the least of your worries. I think my tackle purchases year in year out out weigh my gas purchases :o . Damn Dreamweaver and Attomik keep coming up with new Hot colors every year :D

Buy the boat and worry about everything else later.

Good Fishing!!!!

John