Riggers & weight ?s for 100'+

chowder

I'm trying to think about the issues involved w/being prepared for targeting Kings when they are significantly below 100'. I currently have older Mag 10s (200' cable) w/ 13lb torpedoes. When I use this setup to try and get down to 90-100', I would say I've got out 130'+ of cable so I'm guessing there is no way this configuration is going much further than that. So, here's my questions:

1. How much weight is realistically required to get down to 200'

2. Whatever this is it's probably to much for an older Mag 10, right?

3. If you don't fish the Bar, how often in a season will cold water on top

force you to go real deep?

4. If you do fish the Bar how often is it like last early May where the deep

presentations were pretty important.

P.S. If we could keep it to riggers here w/ out getting into discussions about Torpedo divers and core/copper clipped into the riggers it would help me out more. ;) Thanks!

Once you start hitting Fair Haven the temp goes deeper as the thermal starts to set up(below 100 FOW) you should be able to get to those depths with the older riggers. I ran those for years and ran down to 120 to 140 granted you have out at least 170 + feet of rigger cable and 13 lb weights to get these depths but it's not impossible.I don't think the older riggers would take any heaver weights for long periods of time the new ones are made for the heaver weights. I don't know what the depths are when the temp sets up out west of Fair Haven but The last couple of years at the bar in May I was down 100 feet picking up fish and last year they were even deeper for a while then the temp sets up and they were fishing is shallower water. It all depends on what type of spring we get for the depths. I am by no means an expert here but just saying what I have been thru.

You can achieve 200' w/ alot more cable and a 15# shark, or go to 20# shark but that will kill your mag 10's :( or when they r below 200', fish for steelies :yes:

I know guys who go down there, and its not a magic solution. If I were a hardcore tourny guy, I would be prepared to go deep if needed. 20# shark and a Scotty or Big Jon Brute.

Keep this in mind..when you are fishing that deep unless you have an incredible spread between you booms you might only be able to run 1 rigger anyways so I don't know if 2 20 pound weights are necessary. I can see major tangles happening with 2 weights down that far.I don't know how much fun cranking a 20Lbs shark up from 200 feet would be with a manual rigger either. I would take the suggestion of going with the propacks or the brutes as well.. I believe the new mag 10's can sustain a 20 Lbs weight as well.

Let us know how you make out.

I routinly run 2 twenty pound sharks below 200' with the booms 8' feet apart, & have never had a tangle. Not sure if your manual rigger booms will handle a 20 lb shark, but after you run these for a summer, I for one would not want to arm wrestle you!!!!

Get some Bigjon brutes (best rigger out there), they bring the 20 lb shark to the top from 200' very quickly!!!

The two BJ Brutes I have do have auto stop & also adjustable retrieve speed. At first, I slowed the retrive speed down to get used to how quick they really are, after the first trip using them, I stopped doing this & now let them run wide open all the time. There is no cheesey belt drive to fail, as these riggers are geared direct drive. :D