Slowing down the boat for trolling

I just got another old boat. This one trolls too fast and I need to slow it down. What is the best way in your opinions. It has a mercruiser 888 with a 14 1/2 x 17 prop.

1/ Should I change the prop. If so what do you recommend?

2/ Get some amish buggy bags (trolling bags)

3/ Put on a trolling plate.

I would recommend option 2 as your best choice. Changing the prop to reduce trolling speed might also prevent you from being able to achieve the proper rpms at WOT or even worse, over rev the engine at WOT and that's bad for the engine, and I've heard lots of bad stories about trolling plates. Plus the bags are removable.

I have 2 of the Amish Outfitters 28" Beefy bags on my boat and they are awesome.

Tim

Another Vote for trolling bags. Make sure they have 2 lines on them (one tied further forward on the boat and another to keep it from going under the boat (and getting in the props if it is an inboard).

I would recommend option 2 as your best choice. Changing the prop to reduce trolling speed might also prevent you from being able to achieve the proper rpms at WOT or even worse, over rev the engine at WOT and that's bad for the engine, and I've heard lots of bad stories about trolling plates. Plus the bags are removable.

I have 2 of the Amish Outfitters 28" Beefy bags on my boat and they are awesome.

Tim

Yes I am hesitant to change the prop for that very reason. What size boat do you have for the 2 28" bags? I was thinking I need 2 22" bags for my 22 footer.

i bought one of those 18" kayak sea anchors its held up for 6 years for like 11.00 online (ebay).....your other option is run more stuff 4 riggers,2 dypsys, and a copper down the chute will add enuf drag....90% of the time on my 22 ftr

Yea more stuff dragging through the water. That did cross my mind as well. A couple more cannonballs should help. Last time out I only had 2 of my 3 riggers down.

I used a single 28 buggy bag on a 28 Penn Yan with a single 350 CID. I bought 2-28's but I could only run 1. I downsized to 2-22 inch bags this year in order to gain the balance of 2 bags. Call the number on the Amish Outfitters website and they will be happy to discuss your boat an make a size recommendation. They stand behind their recommendations and will exchange the bags for a better size if their recommendations are off.

Tim

Yes I am hesitant to change the prop for that very reason. What size boat do you have for the 2 28" bags? I was thinking I need 2 22" bags for my 22 footer.

24' Thompson, 230 HP 305 Merc Alpha 1. I usually only have 1 bag out when trolling, mostly so I can kick the rpms up a bit and get better speed control, but in really snotty lake conditons I'll put em both out to smooth out the ride.

Tim

Tim

24' Thompson, 230 HP 305 Merc Alpha 1. I usually only have 1 bag out when trolling, mostly so I can kick the rpms up a bit and get better speed control, but in really snotty lake conditons I'll put em both out to smooth out the ride.

Tim

Another vote for bags.

Same engine, same boat here. One thing Tim did not mention is the added benefit (especially on an older boat) is the ability to run a little higher RPM with both bags out, which maintains a bit more oil pressure, and helps to keep the plugs from fouling. I personally have never had an issue with fouled plugs, but have spoken to a couple guys guys who, after half a summer are changing plugs due to constant ultra low RPM. Also, while trolling in a quartering sea, bags will help to stabilize the boat.

As far as a kicker goes, I was considering an install this past winter, but decided against i due to the large initial cash outlay, and speaking from a safety standpoint, if you are concerned about being able to reach port if the motor dies, it's much cheaper and (I hope) probably just as effective to spend the 80.00 for the TowBoatUS service. Emergency trailer service is also included.

Sorry for rambling.

I have tried the trolling plates they are worse than bad, horrible is an understatement in my opinion. I also have a set of bags, and they work good. You don't need probably as big a bag as you think, two smaller ones will do more and give you more control than one great big one, like another poster stated get the one with the rope that goes to the bottom of the bag.

I now have a kicker, 9.9 Yamaha and it is hands down the best way, but it would depend on how much lake time you get to make it worth it. I'm out on it allot and no insurance is worth what that kicker give me fishing. One other thing is if you have any fouling problems get some of the Bosch platinum 2 spark plugs at walmart and put them in your boat, that will help in a major way, and no they will not hurt your motor just get the right size.

I am going to go against the flow. I hate bags, just more crap in the water to get into lines, fish to get into, have to setup and store, etc...

While a kicker is best, if you don't have space or cash, I recommend this plate:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

The easytroller. I run it with the hydrofoil and have for a few years. It has worked like a charm, lets me throttle up if emergency presented itself, keeps me in control and has shown no wear and tear thus far. I have it on a 125 Merc that wouldn't back down below 4/4.2 mph, now I can run down to 1.5 mph or at my usual 2.6 to 3 mph while keeping revs up around 900 to 1100.

i have a set of 28's and 22's. the 22's wprk great on my 225 sea ray. go from 2.5 down to 1.5 and my 28's i hardly use, one because its not neccessary, and two i ripped the matching pair. oooops.

good luck

Well the bags are in. I checked the timing on the moter and it was out. With the timing set correctly I was able to idle it down from 900 Rpm to 700 Rpm. The next trip out may be more playing and experimenting thatn fishing but if I get all set then I will be ready to fish properly with this new to me boat.