Lucky Enuff Pro Am Report....Big Fish Pics

I never got to post a report for Nigara, as I was only home a couple days and back off for the Orleans Pro Am. Both Pro Ams were a great time as always. Ya gotta join in on the fun and put a team together for one of these events. You'll be suprised at what you are missing out on if you haven't fished the Pro Ams before. It was great seeing everyone again and I'm already looking forward to Oswego.

Here is our Orleans report....

Friday: We entered the Friday 3 fish derby and headed east out of port to Devil's nose. We couldn't move a rod for the first couple hours, but eventually started picking away at the kings out over 170-200 fow. Our biggest was 19+ and that king took a Moonshine purple nurple behind a wonderbread walker deeper diver 275 out on a 3 setting. We then tripled up over 120 fow, landing all three fish on various spoons and decided to pick up and test new water. We ran 18 miles and set up 7 miles west of port in 200 fow. We caught a couple more kings before heading to weigh in. It was a heavy spoon bite for us, with a mixed bag of spoons and colors taking fish. Our 40+ lb box landed us in 9th so we collected a little cash and felt really good about Saturday....maybe to good :devil:

Sat: Damn you mother nature!! Another rough tournament day, but at least we got to fish. We had solid 4-6+ footers after about the first 45 min of leaving port headed for Devil's nose , with one actually crashing over the flybridge as we were trolling and soaked the guys in the back of the boat...a first for us! I saw it coming and said "oh crap"...then BAM. I'll never forget looking up at that wave as I stood in the back of the boat as it rolled away from us. A heavy NE wind made fishing tough for us. We struggled big time, and just couldn't find our fish. We landed a 3 lb laker to get the skunk out, and we were running most of our gear in the top 60 fow. 1 slide diver, 1 dipsey, two riggers and a mix of the 5 & 10 color cores and 200 -450 coppers were deployed in our 6 rod spread most or the time. Our junk rods and dipseys never got hot. Most fish came off the riggers and slide diver. I decided to drop a white/ green dot spinny followed by a Big Weenie Proctologist fly 130 down and before long it started screaming with a major king. Jeff did a great job and when she hit the deck we were thinking things were looking up. It weighed in at over 27lbs, but would be the last legal fish of the day for us. We generated enough bites to get a full box, but had to throw back some short fish. Still, our big king was the biggest fish for the Am division and held up on day two also, so congrats to my teammate Jeff J for that accomplishment.

Sunday: weather was good, but we had no idea if our fish would be there after the blow? We knew everyone was either running deep or west, but in the end we felt we could get enough bites by running east again. We set up off the flats and picked up two skippy kings so we picked up and ran to Devils nose again. Within an hour, we found our fish from Friday and the fun began. We caught about 12 fish in an hour's time, boxing a 4 lb laker, 3 kings and a steelhead and tossing back a bunch a short kings. Feeling great, we continued to move rods but the fish kept coming up short. After landing a 24 1/2" Atlantic that had to be released, we boated two 14 lb lakers and had to throw both of them back also cause we already had a small one :( That hurt, and even though we generated around 25 bites, we only boxed 6 fish! We only dropped two fish the whole day, but they just kept coming in short. We did manage a 19 lb king that hit a DW dave's salmon slapper on a rigger parked 57 down before heading in. We finished up in 7th place over all. Not the finishes we hoped for, but good times were had!!! Sunday was a spoon bite again in the top 60 fow, with anything black being the ticket. DW ss salmon slapper took the most fish, but we had the water flooded with anything we could find that was black and they all took multiple shots. Both lakers took the white/ green dot spinny with the Big Weenie proctologist fly.

Here are a couple pics of the 27+ lb king

fSkf9.jpg

nWHT9.jpg

nWMSr.jpg

Nice report Rod. We were in the same water east and there was a very good down break there, too bad the fish hadn't enough time to set up on it as they stayed high and scattered and were tough to dial in. Good luck in Oswego.

Thanks guys...looking forward to seeing what Oswego and Sodus have in store for all of us in July. My guess is wind, waves & BIG sharks !!

Rick, I'm tucking that one away to use on Rollie as needed this season. After all, it was his first time driving the boat so I can't beat him up to much or he won't offer to do it again. Hmmm, maybe after that I don't want him to :lol:

I should send out a big thanks to 4 c's marina for helping us out on Friday evening. Running in to weigh in, the port motor was running hot, so I decided not to risk it and came in on one motor. We pulled the boat out and they stayed open two hours late to pull the outdrive off and get her fixed up. Also, thanks to all the teams that showed genuine concern as they saw the boat being worked on and thanks to Bob Buck for offering up his boat Salmonbound to us If we couldn't get ours ready. A lot of good people fishing these events!!!!!

Rod, I think you forgot to talk about an incident in your report! I will toss out a keyword below to help remind you.

Keyword - Launch

Come on Rod, spill yer guts. We want to know the rest of the story. :D

Yeah Rod spill your guts. What happen at the launch? I didn't hear about this. Post up or I'll tell everyone about the steelie that kicked your butt. ;)

Thanks for letting me fish with you guys Fridays I had a good time. The event was pretty fun (except for Saturday at Orleans). I learned alot.

Yes it was a good weekend of fishing, just not enough in the box on Sat. to put us in the money. Thanks again to all the teams that asked about the boat and thanks Bob for your kind offer.

Look forward to seeing everyone at the other end. Hopefully big kings and good weather :):):) .

Jeff

After I let you pull all those fish in.....you wouldn't dare Mike :rofl::rofl: I can't help that monster king I battled on the copper swallowed the hook and then regurgitated a 6 lb steelie it had just swallowed alive.

OK, Lets just say we thought Rollie was trying to back the boat onto the trailer, and leave it at that. It was ugly, but then who am I to talk? When I dock it's more like a "controlled crash" :D