Water Fleas and mono.

waterdawg.

Fleas are starting and will be getting alot worse. If you want to make your trip a little more enjoyable you can spool up with 30 lb flea flicker line and run a leader of it. It's either that or deal with the fleas and thats no fun at all. I've tried up to 40 lb test mono and it will still collect enough fleas to require constant attention and a messy boat.

Good luck with the new ride and ask away as most on this board are willing to help.

Glen

I just splice in 100 feet of 30 lb big game onto my rigger rods, then a small #8 spro power swivel and 20 lb fluoro leader. Never have flea problems and it doesn't twist up like FF is prone to. The 30 lb runs between the rod and the rigger release (we're lucky on the west end as we selcom have to run the riggers deeper than 100 feet to get into fish. On the east end you may have to go t0 150 feet of 30.

Tim

Tim, what is the purpose of the 20? why not just run the 30 on the spool and not worry about the leader. Or do you like having the flouro leader or do you think the 20 provides better action for spoon programs off the rigger?

I ask because I'm spooled with 30 pound Maxima if the 20 will help my spoon program I'm all for trying something new if it'll help.

thx

Kevin,

I just like having the 20 lb fluoro leader for spoons. doesn't really matter with flasher/flies. I have the spool filled with 300+ yds of 17 trilene xt before I put on the 100-120 ft of 30 lb big game. Those spools looked like they were getting pretty low with some of the screamers we had on saturday, so it was nice to have plenty of the smaller diameter line on the reel behind the 30.

Tim

I run the 30lb. Flea Flicker with no problems. I spliced in 200' per reel. You need to use quality swivels or it will twist like crazy.

30 # Flea Flicker here to :yes:

Two weeks ago the fleas were non existent in the water I fished with 12 lb test. I got burned in the same water Sunday on a couple of majors. I tried to slap off the fleas as they stopped my progress on the first one. In my inexperience I tightened up the drag to force the issue. I didn't back off the drag quick enough after slapping off the fleas. A few violent head shakes and gone. The second fish got off while trying to slap the fleas off. Lesson learned: Go buy a couple of high capacity reels and 40 lb dia. and leader down to 20# flouro.