Crossbow bill awaits Gov. Paterson's signature

L&M

Updated: Thursday, July 01, 2010, 2:22 PM

David Figura/The Post-Standard

Both houses of the state Legislature recently approved a new law that would allow hunting with crossbows in New York. It awaits Gov. David Paterson’s signature.

The law — a version of which was sponsored by Sen. David Valesky, D-Oneida, in the state Senate, and an identical bill, written by Assemblywoman Francine DelMonte, D-Lewiston, in the Assembly — would allow the state Department of Environmental Conservation to create standards for a legalized crossbow hunting season, as well as allowing the use of one on private property during any deer hunting season. With Paterson's signature, the bill could take effect this fall.

According a memo accompanying the bill, the proposed law defines a crossbow as a “a bow and string that launches a minimum 14-inch arrow, which is mounted upon a stock with a trigger that holds the string and limbs under tension until released. All crossbows must have a working safety. The minimum limb width is defined as 17 inches, has a minimum peak draw weight of 100 pounds, and a maximum draw weight of 200 pounds. It further defines that the overall length of a crossbow from butt to the stock of the limbs must be 24 inches.â€

Valesky described hunting in Upstate New York as a “time-honored tradition that thousands of New Yorkers enjoy each year.

“Expanding hunting to include crossbows will enhance the opportunities available for sportsmen and women and will provide opportunity for increased revenue from licensing and tourism,†he said.

Incorporating crossbow hunting in New York State has been supported in the past by such groups as the Disabled Sportsmen of America, Safari Club and the New York State Conservation Council. While many applaud the change in policy, some are also saying the bill didn’t go far enough.

“The problem is it doesn’t achieve one of the core things it set out to do — which is allowing seniors and those who are physically challenged to hunt with a crossbow during the bow hunting season,†said Stephen Wowelko, president of the Onondaga County Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs. The legislation, he noted, specifies that crossbows shall be authorized only for any big game season when use of firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns or muzzle loaders) are permitted.

The bow hunting-only season is scheduled earlier in the fall before the regular deer hunting season, when the weather is warmer. This year, the bowhunting season ran from Oct. 17 to Nov. 20 in the Southern Zone. The regular deer hunting season (where firearms are allowed) ran from Nov. 21 to Dec. 13. The muzzleloading season ran from Dec. 14 to Dec. 22.

“As disappointed as some may be, this is the first step in legalizing crossbows for all seasons,†Wowelko said.

Gary Socola, president of New York Bowhunter, a bowhunting advocacy group, said he is essentially “neutral†on the bill.

“Our position has always been that we’re only concerned with crossbow use during the archery season or in archery-only areas,†he said.

He said if the state wants to allow crossbows in the regular firearm muzzleloading season, that’s OK— unless the DEC is somehow going to shorten or change the dates of bow hunting season.

He also noted there are changes in the bill that make it easier for people with disabilities to get permits for adaptive equipment to use during the bow hunting season.

bow hunting is a skill and xbows just aren't... you make the judge how this will turn out. I like my time in november when there wasn't seven million hunters tramping through the woods. That is why i only shotgun hunt once a year. :no:

just my .02 and it aint worth much

I'm with Gary: "neutral".

Unfortunately, I think that the main type of crossbow user is unlikely to be a disabled or elderly person but instead your average joe who doesn't want to put the time or practice in to learn to bowhunt. For me, it's a lot like the proposed muzzleloader season in the middle of archery season--I'm kinda protective of my time in the woods. I don't want a bunch of yahoos running around shooting at whatever moves while I'm sitting quietly in my stand passing up on smaller deer looking for that big guy. Is this a selfish attitude? Yup.

I guess I'm somewhat perplexed too as to why crossbows are that much better for disabled people. I know a guy down in Bath who's missing a hand and shoots great. If it's a matter of draw...45 lbs will kill a deer and 85% let-off is easy to hold. I'd think that other considerations such as getting into the woods or a treestand would be more problematic than the choice of weapon. I'm not saying that there aren't valid reasons why people might need crossbows, I'm just saying that it seems the use of a bow might be lower on the list than other concerns. Yeah, it might be harder to use a bow but that's true for EVERYONE, disabled or not. You've got to practice and you've got to know your weapon. I'd also think that special provisions could be made on a case-by-case basis. After all, we want to be inclusive: if you're willing to put the time in you should be able to bowhunt. In fact, I don't know many bowhunters who wouldn't go out of their way to help someone who is disabled or elderly get into the woods. How many families take special care to make sure that "gramps" gets to his spot safely? Happens all the time. My opposition is to the class of "instant bowhunters" that crossbows would undoubtedly create. Again, selfish? Yup.

I just hope that this bill isn't the start of legalizing crossbows through all seasons. You get out of bowhunting what you put into it. Making it easier should only be an option when it's impossible under the current laws. And that's just not that often.

Gator

It is the crossbow manufacturers themselves who are lobbying the state DEP's for inclusion. It is a money thing like everything else these days. The states are hurting for cash and will sell out to anyone for a fee. They had a survey here where 500 hunters were led to all the right answers in favor of a crossbow season. They are allowed for all of the archery seasons now. Despite a pretty emotional and heated argument on the issue the cross gun makers won out. Go figure.

• 3 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings. I am a avid bowhunter that had to put my time in to learn the trade and be successful. The learning curve and the joy of accomplishment would have been reduced had I started with a crossbow. However, what no bowhunter wants to discuss is bowhunting involves losing game animals due to poor shot placement, moving targets, those pesky twigs, buck fever etc. and anything that would help reduce the deer herd with a reduction in wounded animals should be considered. I might try a crossbow during gun season to fill my doe tags and keep the hill quieter ( to not run off the big guys).

i dont even bowhunt whatsoever guys and i think that xbows should be legalized. BUT!, only during regular gun season because weekend wariors who dont want to hunt with a bow will tak up crossbow hunting and shoot every small spike horn buck or yearling they can get the hairs on. bowhunters practice much patience and skill(which i dont have) and for them to be crapped on by a bunch of lazy people is ridiculous. again im all for xbows, but not by taking advantage over standard bowhunting season. i think disabled should get an advantage but i dont see much need for a rule like this. for the extremely small percentage who would qualify, i am sorry for my comments otherwise its a joke.

Crossbows have been legal here in NJ for a couple seasons now. I know dozens of bowhunters and only one or two ran out and replaced there compound with a crossbow.

Most will tell you that if your good with your compound, you'll be no better with the crossbow. The main advantage is being able to shoot from a seated position from either shoulder like a gun, and lack of movement needed to shoot. range and accuracy are a toss up depending on your level of shooting ability with your compound. Im still shooting my Matthew's. Disabled hunters always had the ability to apply for a X bow premit in NJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Weve always been allowed crossbows here in ontario during the archery season. I started hunting with one as a teenager and continue now. I dont know where some of you guys get off saying theyll be shooting everything in site as no one i know has a bow or rifle thqat decides what to shoot. I pass up all sorts of deer so I can enjoy the time in the woods and hope to get a big lad. I also think that they are as limited as vertical bows when it comes to range and limitations. If anything is bad for our sport is a bunch of fighting amongst ourselves. If its legal try it. Maybe youll like it. How often does the government give anything to hunters these days! Not often north of the border

Crossbows durring the firearms season is fine with me. My tags are filled by then anyway. :lol: I love the peaceful time in the woods and the chance at unpressured deer. I hope they keep them seperate from verticals. Maybe give us a early season primitive. That would be great.