Billy V Sodus 7/5/2010 w/pics

Today Tim, Jay, Gump and I fished for a few hours out of Sodus Point. We worked some way deep water looking for colder water and bigger fish than there has been inside the past few days. We found 42 degrees down 90' out over 350-600 FOW but only a few marks and those were down 300' or more. I ran a rigger out 350' for a good chunk of the morning but it never took a shot. We did OK out there but never lit them up - it was just a steady pick for us today. It sounded like the better bite was in 100-180 FOW this morning. Our 400' copper pulling a DW SS Midnight Special took several fish today, as did a NK Mixed Veggies fished off of our 90' rigger as a free slider. We also had the NK Die Hard, and DW SS Glow Frog take shots today. The Mixed Veggies took our biggest steelhead of the trip at just over 10 lbs:

Sodus2010007.jpg

A Green Double Crush Glow Spinny/Sigg's Green Hypnotist fished off of our 400' Diver took our biggest fish of the day, a 20 lb King that fought like he was a 35 lb'er.

Sodus2010003.jpg

It was mostly a spoon bite for us today. The fleas were terrible - maybe the worst I've ever seen - especially when we were fishing the inside, warmer water. Even though it wasn't fast & furious we still had a great time and are all looking forward to the Oswego Pro-Am this coming weekend.

Hey Billy... tried calling you out there, not sure what channel you were on? We tried that deeper water the last couple of weekends... there were the few steelies and occasional dink salmon, but the majority of the fish have been sitting in the bathtub around 150-200fow.

You're not kidding about the fleas either! I remember when they wouldn't stick to 30lb test ;(

Nick

I haven't had any issues with the stuff. However, I quickly learned that you cannot run romer releases for cheaters on it as they will cut you off because of the oval shape of the line. Therefore I run about 75 to 100 feet of fluoro ahead of it and put my cheaters on that. 8)

Yup, special sauce or no, the 20 lb Flea Flicker line we used this past weekend was clean even when the wire lines were collecting a foot of fleas after being in the water for <30 minutes. Good stuff.

I wouldn't have believed it myself until switching just this year...the remainder of the 3000 yard spool is being strung up this week.

Gator

Nick,

I had the radio turned way down and probably missed your call. We'd heard about the biggest number of fish being taken in that 150FOW range but also heard that most of them were small. We were hoping to find some bigger fish out deeper - nope!

I ran flea-flicker probably 10 years ago or so and absolutely hated how badly it twisted and then retained that twist. But it might become necessary if the fleas don't let up!

You're right there were a TON of small fish in shallow. But there were a few big guys mixed in. We did a couple over 20 and one over 30 this weekend. The bigger fish still haven't moved into Sodus. Normally in years past, pro-am weekend is when Sodus sees the big fish move in. I'm guessing this coming weekend should be tremendous as everything seems to be a week ahead this year.

I still find it very strange how empty the deep water is this year. Normally, I'd be smacking fish in 350-600 fow this time of year... but it's been pretty much barren out there.

Nick

We haven't been out much lately - I needed to spend some time at home with the family after fishing 20 days in May and then the West end Pro-Ams in June - so we figured we'd take a shot at that deep water program rather than sort through all the small fish. It's typically been a good bet out deep like that at this time of year. There were a few fish out there - that's where we got the 20lb King and the 10 lb steelie, but it wasn't what we had hoped.

good luck in the pro-am.when i used flea-flicker i put a good ball bearing swivel 5-6 feet ahead of the snap.no twist issues. quit using it becuse i thought the noise it made cut down on strikes.i still have a bulk spool and may re-consider that after last weeks flea catch.

Bill, is that DW SS Midnight Special available in stores/shops yet? Every tackle shop I stop in that carries DW has no clue what I am talking about when I ask about the Midnight Special. I see it on the DW website, but odd the tackle shops have never seen or heard about it.

Tag,

Fat Nancy's in Oswego has 3 left - my buddy Gump picked some up there just yesterday. You can give them a call at 315-216-4595 to make sure. It's a deadly spoon - one of the best new spoons we've had in a while. Here's what it looks like:

midnight.jpg?a=31

I stopped in their Pulaski store last weekend, they had no idea what I was talking about. I described it to them, and they tried to sell me the Habanero, which I have and is close in resemblance, but not the spoon. I'll give the Oswego store a shout in the morning and see if they still have any left.

It definitely seems to be a killer spoon for you guys this year. Been wanting to try it out, but nobody knew what I was talking about at the tackle shops. Thanks for the info, Bill!

Tag,

Fat Nancy's in Oswego has 3 left - my buddy Gump picked some up there just yesterday. You can give them a call at 315-216-4595 to make sure. It's a deadly spoon - one of the best new spoons we've had in a while. Here's what it looks like:

midnight.jpg?a=31

Thanks again, Bill. Just got off the phone with the Oswego shop and ordered a few from them. Can't wait to give the spoons a shot!