Cannon Downrigger lifetime warranty not really

Buyer be aware.

I spoke to cannon about how all of my downriggers are having issues (new ones and old ones). I have a total of 8 mag 20's and digitrol and only one new style mag 20 that does not have an issue. I called to ask about the life time warranty on the riggers. The guy I spoke with that all the electric motors carry a lifetime warranty. I explained to him that several of them are the old style motors and when I sent one to Fish 307 to have repaired I was told that the motor was bad. Due to that motor no longer being made, I would have to have the rigger retro fitted to fit the new style motor and was quoted a $700 price tag. He put me on hold to speak to "his repair guy, Rick". When he came back on the phone he said they no longer make that style motor and that they do not do the retro fits for the new style. I asked how is it that they offer a lifetime motor and because the change the style of the motor I am out of luck. He state, well rick said that we can give you 25% your next order. I told him that I am declining his offer of 25% off, as I have no intention of buy anymore cannon products.

I sent an email to the corporate office asking for an explination as to why the no longer stand behind their warranty and because they change their motor style my warranty was replaced with 25% off my next purchase.

As a business owner, I see this all the time w/ vendors I deal w/. I don't think they realize by doing this how much future business they loose and it is obviously an immeasurable number. Personally I will spend more money for an equal product if I know the service is superior. All I can say is BigJon. They have a tried and true product and they do not change alot of parts w/ different models.

One look in the repair shop of what is there waiting to be fixed will give you an idea of what works and what don't. I have had my issues with Johnson Outdoor Products (mother ship of Cannon and MinnKota) on a few occasions. All instances (6) showed good customer service. However, 6 instances is far too many for a couple of items.

You have to understand what a "lifetime" warranty is. When the motor dies, the warranty dies. When the company dies, the warranty dies. Lifetime mean actually nothing but a way to suck you into buying the product.

jimski is right ,now if it said 20 year warrenty then they might be in trouble ,lets see 1500.00 in lawyer fees,court cost time for a free 120.00 moter. All companys should be open and transparent ........sorta like our government ,,send out fliers before they change their policys,,Im shure they changed their moter style after finding guys were still using them more than 20 years (mine are 23 yrs old) and still working..any product that sits 20 years in the sun ,rain,freezing conditions,viberatiot and ocasional beating (big waves) probly ant too bad of a product to think about buying again...... But hey im justa plummer.

Dear PS II,

Yes the "lifetime warranty" is only as good as the paper its written upon. Even worse with new vehicles also. BUT the Johnson people are living with a former company policy. They do come thru with great help IF you send it back DIRECTLY to them. I avoid the "Authorized Repair Centers" like the plaque!! Seen more poor workmanship from the centers! ....Sent back an old style Digitroll IV that needed a new key pad. Cost of repair was 550.00. Sent check and they decided not to repair the pad. Instead they shipped a brand new DIGITROLL IV. That's a 1500.00 item! My hat is off to their service dept. Johnson is OK in my book. Not free but fair!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

I hear you on that. I would look into a local alternator/starter rebuild shop. I have had many electrical motors rebuilt at a 10th of the price of a new one. Dont know if it would work but worth a try.

xbdcx, That is my plan exactly over the winter. I have a great local repair guy here and if it is a DC motor he can repair it. I took my trim/tilt motor to him a couple of years ago and he repaired like new for $20. It just did not sit well with me that their warranty states that electric motors are covered 100%. But then they changed that to 25% off. I have been a Cannon Downrigger for over 25 years. I guess it is time to go with Scotty Down Rigger

Had a bad exterior door on my house 1 year old. . Went to the lumberyard ( a friend of mine) & told him. Rep came out & said that there was nothing that they could do. Told my supplier that I was going to by a new door from him , take the old one out & bring it to the manufaturure in Rochester & throw it thru his showroom window. Had a new door in a week.

I can see why you would be upset over the warranty. I thought being that it is an electric motor it should be repairable. I am also thinking about doing the same thing this winter. My motors seem to be getting a little lazy and the riggers are an older Mag10. I am also very tempted to repair them and then sell them to buy a set of scottys.

i believe that like most things that are mass produced today, the motors are a sealed unit. Kinda like the electric window motors in cars today. They don't repair them, they throw the old one away and replace it with a new one. But I know I'd be hard pressed to find a window motor for a 1970 Buick. They can't keep old stock on the shelf forever.

I'm another guy that has had a set of Mag 10's longer than I can remember (20 - 30 years) and I've only had to replace the switch on one of them. That sure sounds like a life time of service to me. I guess I'm lucky right now not to have worries over my warranties. I do have a set of mag 20's too and they are in fine shape. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm very satisfied with the years of service my downriggers have provided me.

If I were in the situation stated above, and I didn't want to pop for a new rigger, I'd look in the adds for a used one that I could use for parts.

But that's just me.

I guess you can't argue with 20-30 years of use and only had to replace one switch. I would be more than happy with that. If the new style canons are as fast as the scottys I would buy them in a heartbeat. Hope everything works out for ya. Let us know the response of the corporate office if you would.

All items known to man sold with a 'lifetime' warranty are sold with the caveat that the 'lifetime' is an established expected baseline for the device, not YOUR lifetime. In most cases, if you read the small print or ask they'll tell you what that number is. I bought some electronics at one point with a 'lifetime' warranty, and upon making a call I determined that to be 8 years. As someone stated, technology and devices evolve and no one will support anything forever, nor can they unless the up front price was 4x average, then the consumer would have a fit about that I'm sure.

What is more interesting to look at is not the term, but rather the warranty is prorated over the 'life' of the device. I don't care if it is 5 years, as long as 4.5 years = full replacement or full value credit. If it deducts 20% per year, as many do, then the warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. Just my .02

I did receive an email from the factory ( I have not contacted them yet). basically he said that, they have an exchange program at the factory for the Mag 10's and digitrol 2's. Alll other motors have not changed and parts are available. I will contact them when I get back from vacation and will advise you what thier exchange program.

My therory on the the evolution to the new style motor. They are a lot faster. But, what is preventing a company (im not saying Cannon is doing this) changing a design and then voiding the warranty every 5 years? I find it funny that the Cannon service center han retro fit the new style motors to the new ones.. From what I understand, you need to change the wheel shaft, and turn gear, but I could be wrong.. I will keep you posted.