copper releases?

I've tried different things , but when running double copper off my mast , what's the best methos. Insert some mono between braid backing and the copper? What releases work well enough not to false release. I'd rather have it not release that falsely release. Just curious to what some of you do. Thanks

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I think a lot of boats around here are using the scotty releases. If you buy the stacker release you get 2 releases in the pack, and you just have to cut and put a snap on one of them. they are usually cheaper this way than buying 2 seperate releases anyways. :yes: My copper ran fine with just the power pro in the release.

I spliced a 10 ft piece of 30lb mono between the copper and the braid for the release and it has worked great. I had the same problem with the braid coming out of the release.

Brian

Mike,

I've been using Scotty's also. The downrigger release size. I have 10 feet of 50# mono spliced between the copper and the braid with swivels. I hook the release as close to the copper as possible that way you know where to look for wear from the release and retie. I've never had it false release but the shakers can't pull it free. I haven't had anything bigger than a shaker salmon or steelie hang on the release.

I've only been running the 300 coppers that way also. That could be why it's not slipping out. Does anyone use a bigger rubber band half hitched to the power pro, and put in the release? I can see where over time the braid is going to wear out. This is only my second year running the copper so I guess I'm still learning also.

I use the big Scotty releases pulled out to the 'extra' tension position for coppers off my Auroralite big boards. These boards pull really hard and I have very few false releases. Occasionally in real rough water my 500' & 600' will pull out if I'm hauling the the big paddles.

We use the Scottys and place it a foot down from the knot on the copper. The release doesn't seem to mess with the copper. The next best thing would be the rubber band trick Chromeslayer is talking about.