Lowrance Service GPS module not responding error

gpiatt

I have heard all the horror stories about an hour wait to talk to someone at Lowrance. I called at 12:16 and at 12:20 I was talking to a tech, I have that wonderful GPS module not responding error. I found a diagram by googling the problem and found a sheet for checking voltages at various points on the system. I had 12.02 volts at the antenna lead going to the LGC-2000. So more than likely my antenna has bit the dust. She stated that they would send me adapter and LGC-4000 for $112.00 since I'm out of warranty, but still better than shelling out 2 grand for a new setup. Just hoping this fixes my issue, she stated since voltage was good more than likely this is the issue. But I could have a communication issue from the head unit to the antenna. I hope not and should have new antenna in 5-7 business days according to Linda at Lowrance. So, so far it hasn't been that bad of an experience. I will let you know how I make out.

The one thing so interesting about the LOU community and the internet in general is, if you have a problem and google it or ask a question or make statement here on the LOU, someone else has had or has the same problem. I am getting the same error message on my LMS 480 (ca 2001?), I have jiggled the blue connections, checked battery leads nothing. I am wondering about replacing the cable since it is exposed to the sun everyday sitting in the marina. Let us know how you make out.

FLXTroutman,

Not familiar with your fishfinder but I have 2 12 volt feeds to my fishfinder One for the head unit and one for the NMEA 2000 bus. Is your setup like this? Might want to check your fuses as both of mine have inline fuses plus fuses in thed boat fuse panel. I found this on the Lowrance website and it lets you know how to check you NMEA 2000 bus.

NMEA 2000 Network Troubleshooting Guide

1. Turn the unit off and back on. Check to see if GPS is now responding. If GPS is not responding, please proceed to next step.

2. (Y-Cable): Please make sure 60 Ohm terminator is in place on the GPS cable. Please see the following illustration.

3. (Hard tee and cables): For the hard tee and cables make sure the 120 Ohm terminators are in place at opposite ends of the network.

4. Reset the unit:

Below are the instructions for the soft reset for your unit.

Soft Reset:

1. Turn unit OFF

2. Press and hold the PAGES key

3. Press and hold the PWR key

4. Release both buttons when the unit powers up to the alarm box

5. You will need a volt meter to proceed from this point:

Not a test light, we will need the voltage readings for evaluating the problem.

6. On the End of the GPS cable that connects to the antenna, measure ground lead on Pin 1 and (+) red, positive lead on Pin 2. See the following illustration.

Had 12.02 volts with boat running 13.55 volts

Connector on cable.

6.a. You should get approximately 12 volts of power. If 12 volts are present, please contact us with test results to send module in for repair. If 12 volts are not present, please proceed to the next step.

7. Unplug the GPS cable from the back of the unit. Measure voltage on the network connector on the back of the unit. Measure ground lead on Pin 1 and (+) red, positive lead on Pin 2. See the following illustration:

Connector on back of case

If 12 volts are present, please contact us with test results. We will need to replace GPS cable.

If 12 volts are not present, please proceed to next step.

8. Turn unit off and disconnect the power cable. See the following illustration:

9. Please note that pins 7 & 8 are main power for the unit’s sonar. Pin 7 is positive (+) and Pin 8 is ground (-). Needs 12 volts of power for unit to come on.

10. Test ground lead to Pin 9 and (+) red to Pin 1, this is NMEA 2000 GPS power for the antenna. If you are receiving 12 volts of power, please contact us with your test results. Your unit will need to be sent in for service. If you are not receiving approximately 12 volts of power, please proceed to the next step.

11. Make sure the NMEA 2000 leg of the power cable is connected, red to positive, black and shield to ground or negative. See illustration of power cable below:

12. Check fuse to make sure it has not blown on NMEA 2000 leg of the power cable.

13. On the NMEA 2000 leg of the power cable, open the in line fuse holder. Make sure the fuse is in the side of the holder connected to the power source (battery). With volt meter, place positive lead on fuse, negative lead to a ground source. This should read 12 volts and will tell you that the fuse is good.

Note: If your GPS is not using the Y-Cable it may be using the hard or soft plastic “T†connector with a shorter cable and 60 ohm terminator. See the diagram below. The same troubleshooting steps outlined above would need to be taken for voltage checks regarding the 12VDC power to the corresponding pins on the back case Network port, shorter Network cable and base of the “T†connector pin holes.

Hope this helps you

Gregg

I have had similar issues with my lowrance....my gps not responding issue was the cable from the unit to the module.

Everytime I turn on the unit, I wonder what I am going to get. Ugh!

Ray

Great Post ,,,,

Maybe someone woke up at " Lowrance" and noticed that the voice of 6000 plus fishermen and over 2 million hits a year might have a impact on their buisness...

Now if they would come up with a user friendly waterproof card with a "Quick Tips"they could use on the water for some of us old farts who are forgeting more than we remember ..( and new owners too))..

the 300 page manual the way its layed out makes as much sence as my 500 page cell phone manual.. specially in 5ft seas.

squeek,squeek,squeek......lube .....ahhhhhhhh!

Yup, been there done that. I bought a 7300 color GPS system that worked for three days fishing the hudson spring striper run. spent the next three days on hold, they wanted me to buy another antennae and try it! I boxed it up & sent it back. NO more lowrance ever! :@

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem with my GlobalMap 4900. I unplugged the cable ends at the display head and the puck end and sprayed them with electronic connector cleaner I bought at Radio Shack. No problem since. I now do this cleaning at the beginning of each season and...so far, so good. You might be replacing a corroded cable or by plugging/unplugging cleaning off just enough corrosion to get the unit to work. Good luck!

Lou