Off-season downrigger storage

Misty IV

I added (2) electric downriggers to the boat this year. I'm also running out of room to store all the boat's gear inside the house. I have always stored my (2) manual riggers inside the house over the winter. I was thinking of storing all (4) downriggers in the cabin over the winter to free up some room in the house. Does anyone see a problem with this, especially with the electrics? The boat sits outside under a huge cover with the Damp-Rid containers spread out throughout the boat. We don't get terribly cold in my section of PA, but it has been known to drop into the sub-zeros overnight with highs in the single digits. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I have stored electric riggers in a boat in the past over the winter in cold Western NY with no problems. Basically it is an electric motor like electric motors in various applications in unheated warehouses and the like.

I don't even remove my riggers from the trax on my Islander. The boat is stored in an open front machinery shed. I just put a heavy cover over the boat & leave all the tackle & rods that I don't use for winter fishing right in the boat. I do remove my displays (and my stash of pretzels & bottled water).

Your liquid crystal screens like on your depthfinders, gps, etc. should not be left out in below freezing temperatures.

I agree 100%. I've never left them on the boat just for that reason. I had a friend years ago felt he'd leave them on the boat, despite my telling him to remove them for the winter. When he took the cover off in the spring, all of his displays were cracked or destroyed. Ended up buying new everything. He learned his lesson the hard way.