More questions about kicker motors?

rshubuck

This is my boat and I'm want to put a kicker motor on it to save on fuel and have a back up. I def want to go 4 stroke to t it into my 62 gallon tank :( I have been doing a lot of research but need to reaffirm what I'm thinking. I have many concerns. What size motor? I been thinking 8, 9.9 or 15hp. I found a good deal on an 8hp yamaha high thrust used. Dry weight is 3500lb but I think when I have my boat fully loaded I'm pushing about 5000lbs easy. I mainly fish cayuga lake but I do the occasional trip to lake O.

Next, i'm concerned with charging the batterys. I run 12 to 15 hr trips regurlary. Is 6amps going to be enough to charge 2 batterys controlling 3 downriggers, fish finder, depthraider, radio, vhf radio and (lights if running at night). I usually keep a spare battery onboard just in case. ;)

Steering? I want to steer this with my steering wheel. I do not have power steering so I was thinking of using E.Z. Steer Connectors, but it looks like a pain. Open to suggestions.

Mounting this motor? My swim platform makes this a little more difficult. I'm thinking being a carpenter and cutting a side section out to make room for the motor. :o Shouldn't be to difficlult. The bracket i was thinking of using is the Marine Tech adj up down. What works best long or short shaft motor? Do I need to tilt the motor up if using this bracket?

Throttle control? I was thinking of just using the stock remote controls to save money but also considering a throttle control like ConTrollKing. Is best to go with a tiller model if I go this route?

Please set me straight. My budget is a poor one but working out the details now. :rofl: Anyone got one for sell? :D Thanks again!

rearboat.jpg

Here is what I have and love it...24' Thompson Hardtop with a Yamaha 9.9 HT model with power tilt and trim.

I too had a problem with my swim platform. For the bracket I am using the following...

https://www.adventuremarine.net/product ... &do=detail

I had to cut a small section of my swim platform (2" off the end) to get the right height for the kicker motor.

For the throttle...I use ControlKing (very easy to install).

For the Steering...I use E.Z. Steer Connectors (very easy to install).

As far as battery charging...my setup keeps the batteries charged and I use the same setup as you described.

Good luck with your decision. You will like the fuel savings!

I run the same Motor 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust I am shure the 8hp would work for you my boat is easy 7000lbs and the 9.9 will push it up and over 8ft + waves on Ontario (I found out in Scotty Tournament). The E.Z Steer has worked great so far and if its hooked up the way it should be you never have to take it off. You don't need a tiller for the throttle control. As for Batt life I only run two good marine batts that are hooked to the 9.9. I have sterio, autopilot, two sonars, 4 riggers, radar, two subtrolls, and two vhf radios, and run the hell out of the raw water wash down with no problems. Sean

While on the subject of kicker motor set-up....I have had the same two deep-cycle batteries that I bought new when I purchased my boat five seasons ago. I have no onboard charger other than the I/O alternator. Just now the batteries are showing signs of demise....so five years is good right? Start up has never been a problem in the past, but now I will be adding an electric downrigger so I am thinking I will need to use my kicker to help charge the batteries. What type of arrangement is involved with bringing power from the four-stroke kicker to the batteries. I have a Perko switch (I will be getting new batteries this year).

Guest coreysheils06

I run Cayuga and have a 23' trophy that weighs in dry at 3600. I usually have 4-5 guys hanging out on the boat and a bunch of equipment/fuel. I run a Mercury 9.9 2 stroke with no issue but half way through last season it quit running and instead of messing with it I through on my brothers Mercury 5hp 4 stroke and that still trolled nice.Only issue with the little motor is its a one banger and runs rough. Just stay with a two banger and you'll be all set.

Hey buck. I don't want to rain on the parade, but I don't think an EZ Steer will work on your boat. Reason is I have almost the same boat. I'm guessing your's is either a Wellcraft or Chris Craft. I have a Chris Craft 212 Scorpion with the same set up, I/O and swim platform.

We installed a Yamaha F8 on it when we bought it, motor works fine(will push the boat 6MPH at WOT), we just can't rig up any kind of steering to the outdrive. Reason is, there isn't enough clearance between the outdrive and the platform when you tilt. We had an EZ Steer from our old boat and I tried every permutation I could think of to use it. Before next season I will be ordering a Panther T4 remote steer, that is my last option. If that doesn't work I'll be going back to the old days when I used the outdrive as a rudder.

As for mounting it. I made a stainless bracket that went right on the platform and had two vertical sections, one for the motor the other to bolt through the transom. I would check how the platform is mounted before you just did something like this. A 4-stroke is an awful lot of weight hanging back there. Our boat has 4 massive cast brackets holding it on. At this point though, if the kicker comes off and sinks I've got bigger problems to worry about. If I get a chance I'll take some pics tomorrow.

I have a 23' Baha and use a 20hp Honda kicker with EZ steer but do not have swim platform. My friend has the same Honda kicker but 9.9hp he has told me many times he should have gone with at least a 15hp. Worth the extra HP"S and money when windy!! I have electric start and have battery charged from motor Just my opinion PJ Weber

ok, to solve this issue, bobs 22 foot, has a high thrust 9.9 yamaha. after the annual lake trout derby last yr his main engine blew up. So this fall/winter we removed the big motor and glassed in the back of his boat. we mounted the motor in the middle of the transom. We have fished now a few times and it handles like a dream. the 9.9 pushes that boat no problem at about 8-10 mph WOT. we troll with it and dont even know the motors running and thats even high chop water...I dont think you can go wrong with a 9hp. And seans parker, his 9.9 pushes that 23 ft boat no problem, i have seen it first hand. Now Glens 24 foot welcraft, he has a 15 hp honda, and that handles the water excellent too. Super quiet. But a 9.9, you wont be disappointed.

But if you find a 15, or maybe two with controls, let me know, i need one for my 28ft trophy. Longshaft. gotta get the hydraulic trim too.

The 9.9 is plenty big works great, its going to charge your batteries fine as well. The one thing you have to figure out, and now is the time to do it, is your steering. If you do some research call the manufacture of the ez steer, he will tell you what you need for information on how to make it work the best it can or even if it cant. But since you have just started you should be able to modify your swim platform how ever you need to (no swim platform is worth a good kicker set up in my opinion, I would rather loose the whole platform before not having a kicker). I'm certain if you plan it right from the start it will go easy, if you presidentially cob it up, it will be a headache for years to come.

Lose the swim platform & seal up the transom holes w SS thru bolts ,fender washers & "life caulk".But B4 you get too carried away w/ this project make sure you get some competent advice from a professional marine expert w/ a lot of experience mounting kickers! There are a lot of factors involved w/ this project and some of them might only become obvious after you have made a FUBAR out of the job. Remember a stitch in time saves 9. For what it's worth I sent you a PM detailing some of the issues you are gonna face. Cheers, -Andy

My EZ Steer has come apart bouncing around in the lake a couple times. Results were I dropped parts of it into the lake. For over $100 they will send you a new part. I put a bungee cords on it and that helped for a while. Cabela's sent me a solid threaded rod that you bend to make it fit. It works until at some time it bends itself. I now disconnect the Rod when I am not trolling and am getting by OK till the gremlins figure out another way to screw up my day.

My 9.9 Honda kicker is a good investment as my old Evinrude smoker does not fill the boat with oil fumes anymore trolling downwind. Twice my kicker brought me home when I had a problem with old Evinrude. Another problem with my old Evinrude is it will not die, it just keeps on running.

I myself was worried about the ezsteer coming apart, but after 2 years of heavy use I have never had an issue.

I don't know whats wrong with Jimski2, no doubt is not holding together, but I would have to say there is something wrong with it. I don't think its even possible for mine to come apart without actually taking it apart, and I have no fears of losing parts. Mine took a hard pounding last year that bent up the kicker mount and twisted the motor more than 5 inches sideways and the brackets were still holding like a rock.

Mine is only 2 years old, so maybe they are using heavier fittings that whats on his. The one I have is tough to take apart when on the trailer. The key to these working good (ease of use) is putting enough space between the motor and the kicker, if its to close then you have problems. That said next year I may loose 2 so, I know things can change... but so far its good.

The key to the ez-steer is to take the measurements required and order the correct size for the size of the engine you will be running. Go to their website or call customer service. You should never have the rod come apart unless you rigged up the wrong size bar.

Thanks for the advice. I will hold off on ordering the EZ steer untill the motor is installed. My biggest dilama now is finding a reasonable priced motor. Chowder gave me a great web page to check out but I would like to go and talk to some dealers in person and ask more question. Is there anyone out there that you guys recommend talking to? I wouldn't mine buying one used either as long as it was not a more then a couple years old.

• 2 months later...

Well I figured I would give an update. I just purchased a used 15hp 4 stroke Yamaha. Got a reasonable deal. :clap: I should have the motor next week. I also bought a Garelick heavy duty 4stroke kicker bracket with the 4 spring assist lift. I believe it is a 12" lift. I do plan on taking my swim platform off until I get everything installed. Then I plan on cutting it in half or less and refininshing the wood. The swim platform as proven useful and as one person mentioned on this post it is away to get back on the boat if you fall off or just want to go for a swim :rofl:

I just sent an email out to EZ steer and I am hoping to get some help from them before I install the bracket and motor. I'm hoping to get some good info from them before installing. I am a little unsure how far apart I should intall the kicker from the outdrive. Thanks for the help! I will post pictures when the project is finished.