In line or mast planer set up?

Hi I have a smaller boat that I want to try trolling for browns with when its a nice calm day. Its a 16 foot alumacraft. I have both a mast set up and in line boards which way do you think would work better? The mast setup is an off shore with daul boards, and the inlines are church tackle with the flag kits. I have never used any planner boards before. Thanks

I would go with the plainer mast. You do not have to fight the board and the fish with the big boards. In lines work great are a pain in the a$$ to fight fish on. If you break off with the inlines, you will more than likely have trouble finding the board.

I AGREE I HAVE 4 INLINE BOARDS I LET THEM STAY IN THE CABIN PAIN IN THE A$$ I RUN BIG BOARDS ANY TIME I HAVE AT LEAST 3 GUYS ON THE BOAT BUT IF I DONT HAVE 3 GUYS ON THE BOAT + MYSELF THEN I WOULD RATHER RUN DIPPSEYS ,IF I AM FISHING SHALLOW THEN BIG BOARDS ARE EASIER TO USE IMO ,YOU JUST HAVE TO MAKE YOUR TURNS WIDE AND UNLESS YOU HAVE AUTO PILOT YOU NEED TO KEEP SOMEONE CLOSE TO THE WHEEL OR YOU WILL HAVE YOUR BOARD BEHIND THE BOAT, LINES TANGLED AND A REEL MESS . BUT IF I HAD TO PICK IT WOULD BE BIG BOARDS.

PS : IF YOU LET SOMEONE DRIVE YOUR BOAT PULLING BOARDS DONT GET TO UPSET

IF THEY GET YOU TANGLED IT MAKES IT A MISERIBLE TIME .IT DOES HAPPEN I GET 2-3 TIMES A YEAR AND I HAVE TO CATCH MY SELF BECAUSE I HAVE DONE IT TOO AND THOES GUYS STOOD RIGHT BESIDE ME AND HELPED UNTANGLE AND NOT SAY A WORD ,IT IS FUSTRATING BUT A GREAT TOOL TO HAVE IN YOUR ARSENAL.

GOOD LUCK IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PM ME BE GLAD TO HELP.

Personally I like to run my big boards off the mast. A good set of dual boards will pull well and take your lines a ways out and the boards will not be way behind the boat. I run otter boats myself and find they perform superb and glide over the waves. Some people prefer the inline boards to which I do not. I am not a fan of having more crap hanging off my line and then having to unhook them before you land the fish. I think they have their place, say on a day when I only want to run 1 line off each side and don't want to put the big boards out for that but usually in those cases I will run a mini disc and set it to angle away from the boat. Good luck.

Like most of the guys above I prefer to run big boards off the mast. It's a lot less junk to have to deal with when landing the fish.

I tend to fish ligher than average line from the traditional presentations, riggers and boards, and because of that I prefer the big boards with a good, easily adjustable side planer release, especially in the spring. I love fishing spring browns, and there is nothing like catching spring browns on a clean, no junk, set up. Just you and the fish.

I leave all the junk to the summer fishing for bigger fish.

Chris