3/26 report and need some advice

Fished Taughannock Saturday 3-26 from noon to 6pm. It was windy and rough, but we still managed to boat 6 keeper landlocks. Also threw about 6 more small ones back. All fish were caught off planar boards between the park and 1 mile south. Had to stay close to shore to avoid getting pounded by the waves and getting turned sideways by the wind. Black/silver and natural colored husky jerks worked best, 150 ft or less behind the boards. My first mate Gilligan has caught most of the fish in the last 3 weeks. He's averaging 6 fish to every one of mine. The only difference I can find between our setups is the main line on our reels. He's using Cabelas 15# saltwater line and I am using 17# Sufix. I reloaded my reels with 15# Berkley Big Game yesterday. The Berkley seems as stiff as the Sufix, so I'm not getting my hopes up for this coming weekend. Does anyone have any advice on line to use on counter reels ? Thanks

Nice report jessie. Try downsizing your line and add a flourocarbon leader. We normally run 8 - 10 lb test with 8 lb flourocarbon leaders for fingerlakes trout and salmon off our boards in winter and spring. Should generate more strikes for you. Good luck and tight lines

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

My flat line reels are spooled w/ Maxima 8lb Ultragreen & I use a 12' Seaguar 8lb Invizx leader. I secure the leader to the main line w/ a very small sampo swivel and then tie a small flat black snap to the end of the FC leader.

Remember that if you are catching mostly small landlocks (under 20") you might want to try some deeper presentations using riggers and or lead core.

Sounds like a 'deja-vue all over again" trip as your Saturday outing and the Lilboats Sunday outing.

Sunny / wavy / windy/ cold / location / species .

Early on, after they boated some on my rods, I did point out to Cruzcontrol and Dave asking "when their lines were going to get a hit"? ;)

After they but on some 8lb Seagar Fluoro leaders the hits started on their lines :yes: and I was able to lose a couple nice ones. I think they pointed that fact out to me as well :lol:

We were running in tight due to (waves/wind/fish) and with the bright sun, stealthier = better. Not any real mudline observed.

Good luck/have fun/stay safe.

Same info as Chowder. Run leader 15 to 20 lb floro down to small black swivel then 8 to 10ft of 8 to 12 lb floro leader like segar. Also lose one of the Flat lines and run a 50ft, 75ft copper or a 3 color core. When the sun is out drop them down a bit. And after your first two passes het out away from shore. Run your boards out at least 100+ from the boat. Sean

Has anyone tried the Sufix color coded line, I put 125ft. on my board lines last fall, no line counters,it 25ft. per color, 20lb test small diameter and stiff with 20ft 8-10lb f- carbon leaders. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Also I have a spool of core 17lb. test I used for eyes, do you think its to light for the FLks trout.

Finger lakes Marina (ford's) is open. Be careful going out between the break wall, I know in the summer that is shallower shoot then the entire marina. Be sure to leave $5 in her mailbox.

Ok, sounds like I need to change from 15# main mono to 10# Maxima Ultragreen or equivalent. The Maxima might be hard to find because it's got great reviews and is on backorder at Cabelas. I already use a small ball bearing swivel between the mono and the fluorocarbon, but it looks like I need to increase my fluorocarbon leader from 3ft to around 10ft. We run the boards approx 150 ft from the boat, so it sounds like we're doing something right. Thanks for sharing your knowledge guys. Appreciate it.

caught a 18 pound something brown last week by t-falls, had a frog and a muskrat in its guts,

Didn't find anything in the stomachs of the LLs cleaned on Sunday.

Maybe thats why the fish resorted to Muskrats and frogs.

It was too cold for any frogs on Sunday though. Don't really know bout the rats :lol:

Ok, sounds like I need to change from 15# main mono to 10# Maxima Ultragreen or equivalent. The Maxima might be hard to find because it's got great reviews and is on backorder at Cabelas. I already use a small ball bearing swivel between the mono and the fluorocarbon, but it looks like I need to increase my fluorocarbon leader from 3ft to around 10ft. We run the boards approx 150 ft from the boat, so it sounds like we're doing something right. Thanks for sharing your knowledge guys. Appreciate it.

The shallow flat line on boards approach is fine when it's working but the better fish will move out & down quickly under pressure. You will really find it to be worth your while to rig up some combos that will get you down 20-50' and don't be afraid to run these rigs out in much deeper water 50-200+. As I've said in other posts, right now the water is very close to the same temp from top to bottom and the browns & LLs are often widely scattered after the sun gets very high in the sky. The skippers will hold in tight all day but the good ones didn't get bigger by getting caught by every Tom ,Dick, & Harry thrashing the shallows.

P.S. Try these guys for the Maxima http://www.alltackle.com/maxima_line.htm I got a service spool from them last year.