black box

B.W.

Fishstix won’t leave home without it; Billy V thinks it “bunk; and I’m theorizing that the mystery salmon that ran the wrong creek last month did so because of sub-terrainian magnetic pulses caused by stray electrostatic discharges probably generated in the SUNY Oswego Physics lab by a frustrated undergrad.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

p.s just being a wise a$$. Everyone has his or her own theory. Many guides out on the West coast swear by it though.

Merry Christmas

I was at Cabelas in Hamburg,PA last week, I believe I saw them on sale for $50 or $60. I think they were in the Bargain Cave, but were new units in sealed packages. Their Phone # is 610-929-7000, wouldn't hurt to give them a call to see if they have any left.

The West Coast commercial trollers usually use 6 lines. Two 50#, two 40# and two 30# cannonballs run off a powered gurdy with 6 spools of very heavy wire cable to which lures and dodgers are attached with snap clip. That's a lot of metal and for sure they may need the electrical charge balanced from all that goes on in salt water. I measured my riggers one day as the Black Box sales people direct and sure enough there is a reading. I didn't buy one because we catch enough fish without it. I've really thought about using the kevlar line power pro for downrigger cable since it probably doesn't conduct the charge like steel wire.But then aren't we catching enough fish? Also, I'm using dipseys and leadcore off the boards a lot more than the riggers lately.

Guest ReelDiel

jimski,

i'm assuming u r running big boards. if u dont mind me askin what clips are you using and whats ur standard board set up. i have a 10 and 9 color set up and could not get them to fire off the boards at all and i can never get dipsy to stay in the release at 2.5 - 3mph???? any help would be greatly appreciated. normally 4 poles seems to be plenty but some days..u know

When I run the leadcore off the big boards, I use an alligator clip on a shower curtain ring. On the line, I attach a rubber band by dipping it through itself andhalfhitching it. Small lines require only a "red rubber band". Larger rigs like leadcore, I use the brown rubber bands. If you have a small fish on, they may not release but you'll notice an increased stretch or bouncing on the rubber band.

The dipseys have a slotted screw for adjusting the tension on the release. If they trip for no reason, then tighten the screw, loosen it up if it's too tight. You have to play with the release tension to get it just right. I like them to release as easy as possible to not have to snap them hard to get them to trip.

Guest ReelDiel

i though u ran your dipseys off the boards also...thanks thats how i was running the lead.....do you ever attach the rubberband directly to the leadcore???

Yes, when shorter lengths of leadcore are producing, I'll shorten up the ten color rods. I use 4 & 5 color rods + two 10 color rods. Getting the lines away from the boat seems to be the way to go, especially with the high lines. I don't use the dipseys off the boards, the #3 setting seems to get them far enough away. Alot of my buddies aren't using riggers anymore, just leadcore and dipseys, and they're producing good fish.