boat floor

FREEMAN77

I have a 17' fisher anyone who is not familar with these boats they are all aluminum no wood at all. the carpet that is in has seen better days I was thinking of replacing it this winter but what I would really like to do is put some kind of roll on rubber coating I would like it to be light gray. I am gussing it would need to be some what flexible as the floor does move when you walk on it in any help would be great :beer:

I am currently re-doing the floor in my Niagara river boat. Cabela's discontinued vinyl flooring and has none. Bass Pro shops offers it, but there are min quantity orders and it ships from manufacturer. I just ordered some from a place called Auto Trim 888-212-8630. It is the good Nautolex stuff, but I have not got my shipment yet so i can't vouch for this outfit yet. I will post when it shows.

I just got the Rustoleum brand bedliner roll on...im doing my floor with it, we will see if it holds up. I will be putting it on advantech subflooring, my only question is how well it will bond. I think it will be ok, it should be easy to touch up when needed and hopefully not to slippery in the winter. There are also these garage floor mats at lowes, they are almost like the bottom of a flip flop. Not hard rubber and not to heavy, comes in 4 by 6 mats which u could glue to the wood. Bedliner was 43.00$ a gallon which covers around 160 sq feet

I saw a Mythbusters episode where they put bedliner on a conventionally constructed wall then sat Buster next to the interior of the wall and blew up C 4 five feet from the exterior wall, it withstands the blast completely, they also put bedliner on concrete block wall so it obviously sticks to different substrates including metal. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I am replacing my floor and decided to go with Durabak. According to their website it is suitable for a variety of uses. http://www.durabakcompany.com/marine.htm They will send you paint chips so you can see what the product and colors look like.

I originally wanted to go with vinyl, but the upholsterer told me it was not flexible enough to fit around the edges of the hatches and cutouts.

I hope to get the deck and hatch covers painted over the next couple days. I will post a couple pics when I'm done.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pics of how my deck replacement turned out.

The Durabak color is "Sand". The Durabak went on pretty easy. I could have gotten by with 2 coats, but I put it on until the cans were empty and got 4 coats on.

I also had to shim the dashes with some aluminum stock to make up for the thickness of the carpet that I lost. I am pleased with the results and can't wait to see how it performs.

DSC03893.jpg

DSC03884.jpg

DSC03888.jpg

Freeman77,

I used it on the two vertical surfaces that separate the bow deck & cockpit, aft deck & cockpit. I bought 2 gallons of Durabak. That got me 4 coats on all exposed surfaces you see in the pictures, 2 coats on the underside of the hatches and 2 coats on the liner panel/interior of cockpit storage.

2 coats covered the deck fairly well, but you could still make out the grain pattern of the plywood if you knew what you were looking at. 3 coats looked good, but I had enough material for a 4th coat so I kept putting it on until the second gallon was empty.

I think I may have put the first coat on a little light, due to the directions warning against over-applying the product and risking shrinkage cracking. Take it slow and buy more than you need. From my experience, each coat made it look better than the last. It is very easy to apply. It does offgas for a few days, so use it in a well ventilated area.