What Copper releases

i have searched this topic and have tried just about everything suggested. here is what i have I am having an issues with the copper staying in my releases off my big boards. I have 450 and 600 foot copper setups. I have a 10 foot piece of mono spliced in between the copper and the braid. I am using the big Scotty releases (from the stackers cut apart). I am just putting the mono straight in the release without twisting it and more often than not even the 450 will pull out. Should I twist the mono before putting it in the release? I have tried rubber bands but they are a PITA because they always take 3-4 tries to get it to hold. What do you prefer or use?

Mike

That's weird....it should be working. We put the copper in the Scotty release about a foot down from the knot, but that's because we don't have that mono in between. We are re-spooling all out coppers this Winter, and that is one thing we are going! When we set the line into the Scotty release we put it in so it sits near that black line. No twisting or rubber bands. The scotty has two settings. You might have to put it on the heavier setting for the 600.

I use the 2 rubber band method, pain in the azz, sometimes. I put them on the copper itself 10-12" from the braid knot. The reason I first put them on the copper itself was a reccomendation from a buddy, can't remember why but I will tell you this, if in am hurry I have in the past just done a bill dance hook set to release the rig at the board, last year I did just that and broke off at the swivel. To my amazement when I looked out there I could still see the release and bands holding the 500 copper. I pulled the board in and carefully grabbed the copper, a haywire twist later I retreived my 500 copper.

I would like to try the scotties but I don't need more knots and after keeping the copper rig that broke this year I hate to change up something that has worked.

jj

Like the Scotty power grip releases. I have no problem even connecting to the copper line itself. Never have any problems with the copper like fraying or kinks. Its my go to release. Bout time you can get them @ Screwy Louise's in Fair Haven.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

This will be my first year using the copper.

I recently purchased 45# copper w/backing and 30' of leader spooled on an Okuma Clarion 553LS (ATomik).

I don't have the mono spliced in between the backing and copper. Can you just place the backing (PowerPro) directly into the scotty release?

Thanks

They should hold. Sometimes I notice the releases get a little slippery/greasy between the pads. I run a towel or cloth between the pads and that seems to clean them out.

I run my copper with the 50# mono to attach the release but can't remember if they are set to the light or heavy setting.

Inline boards:-)

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Your on crack if you think your pulling a 450 or 600 with an inline. You need something to pull that copper out far enough to the side where it wont get into your wires on turns.