Big john downriggers vs cannon

Im considering changing from my cannons to big johns (captains packs). I run cannon mag tens now but these seem kinda cheap compared to the big johns. I would like some input before i pull the trigger and spend the money and make the change. Thanks

I am doing just the opposite. I have always been a big Jon guy but trying to parts seems to be a chore. 3 times in the last two years parts were back ordered and I was down for 2 to 3 weekend. I also have a reliable source who sells big jons new and he states that he has never seen so many returns. Take my opinions for what it's worth.

We have Mag 10's on the big boat, and have had Walker hand-cranks on the little one for some time.

Currently installing Big Jon's on that boat, and am looking forward to using them.

Two of my "pro" captain friends are switching from Big Jon's to Cannons, after several issues with the Brute ES model. Parts availability and that retarded counter spring being top issues from what I could gather. However, I am perfectly happy to set aside my slow old Mag 10 Cannons and pick up their Brutes, and am looking forward to using them this year.

If you trailer your boat with big jons, you must hook em down to something or they will literally flop themselves to pieces. I have a variety of riggers on my boats.. Big jons are nice that you can lift them up to bring the ball to you... that is where the extent of their value ends for me.. Otherwise they are a rattly mess of milled gaulding aluminum parts.

I prefer my cannons over any other brand..

I have always run Cannons ( 30ish yrs?) and they have never failed me. My newest set is a pair of the their first generation High Speeds and I dont care much for them compared to my older Mag10s - Switches suck and they start and stop too suddenly. I cant speak for the newer model that came out last year but have heard good things about them.

I regularly fished with a buddy that had BigJons and they were decent riggers but I would not take them over the cannons - just seemed lighter weight compared to the Cannons.

Last year I fished a boat with Scottys and I was very impressed - based on my experiences they would rate above the BJs and depending on how good the newest cannons are may even be the top of the list

I can say that if you ever need parts for the cannon's (2000 and newer) Fish307 has everything for you. I just picked up 2 mag 10's (3 yrs old) w/ swivel bases for $600 and 2 mag 5 HS w/ swivel bases for $500. Unknown at the time, one of the mag 5's circuit board had a bad up relay. I had to order a new circuit board from Fish 307. Had it in 3 days, and its just a couple plugs and done. Bought some 64" booms to replace the 24" on the mag 5's. so for $1200 total I have 4 lightly used mag 10's (Mag 5's became mag 10's w/ the addition of the longer boom) now w/ swivel bases. I'll have to get a few season's into them before I give them too much credit.

I bought new big jon pro-tournament series riggers new back in 2008.I had nothing but problems with them from the start.They were rated to handle the 15lb riggers, but failed many times.I had several of the booms break in half( not fun when you have a 15lb ball down 90ft).The motors were changed out twice.The auto stops broke on them also. I will say that big jon customer service was very good and always sent out parts imediatlly.The other issue that I did not like was the way that you lift the boom to bring in the ball and hook up you line in the release.Many times when I had other people fishing with me they would have the downrigger cable jump track becoming tangled.

Last season I purchased new cannon mag 10's rated for 20lb balls.Wow is all that I can say.These riggers preformed flawlessly for me.The riggers are built very sturdy to handle heavier weights, the auto stops on these work flawlessly.The best part is when you have newbies on the boat and they hit the up button, you should see the look in their eyes when the ball comes screaming up at blistering speed. I laso have several cannon downriggers that are over 25yrs old and still work and have never had an issue.