50/200kHz versus 83/200kHz transducer

High Bidder

I would like to put a thru hull transducer on my boat but it seems that the only one I can find with a tilted element are the 50/200 kHz. My Humminbird 778c HD now has a 83/200 kHz transom mount transducer. My question is will the airmar b20 with a 12 degree tilt work on my unit? The plastic thru hull that Humminbird sells does not specify if it has a tilted element. I would prefer the brass transducer if possible.

High Bidder

I checked my manual and I don't see an option for selecting 50/200 on the 778 unit. It must be only on the 800 and up series units. I guess I'm stuck with a poorly functioning transducer. I don't have the space for a larger unit. Sometimes I regret selling my Lowrance 337 and replacing it with this Humminbird. With the Lowrance I could search for fish when on plane speed. The Humminbird still holds bottom but it doesn't mark any fish. Thanks for the replies.

High Bidder

Got a reply from Humminbird today. All they said was that they wouldn't recommend using another company's transducer(Airmar b20) because they want you to buy theirs. (Exact words). Not a word if the 50/200 Airmar transducer would work on my 778c. Their advice was that I should make a level spot on the outside of the hull and use their transducer which doesn't have a tilted element. I guess I expected better from Humminbird. It seems, just like Lowrance, they have people answering technical questions that just look up information in the manuals. Or they really didn't want to tell me if the Airmar would work and try to force me to buy theirs. Either way this is probably the last Humminbird I'll buy.

High Bidder

At least on the 900 and 1100 series, you can go in the menu and change the transducer selection to operate the 50/200 transducer. That might be a possibility on your model.

Since the Birds ducers are 83/200 you wont see the 50/200 in the menu until you hook one up to it. I know people who have put airmar ducers in 50/200 on bird units from the 700 series on up. The customer service reps wouldn't know this as they are just instructed to talk about the line that they have available. Really, only the engineers or technical people would have been able to tell you yay or nay in my honest opinion. BTW that ducer your looking at from Airmar is a good one! We had it on our Bayliner.

Thank you Yankee, Now that I have a reasonable chance of it working I will install a b20. I should have known better than to expect a service rep to provide a answer to a technical question. Hey, at least they spoke english.

High Bidder

Thank you Yankee, Now that I have a reasonable chance of it working I will install a b20. I should have known better than to expect a service rep to provide a answer to a technical question. Hey, at least they spoke english.

High Bidder

Always a plus! If you have further questions about set up on the menu don't hesitate to ask. I can tweak it for you so you get the best reading.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone

I am about to pull the trigger on Lowrance hds genII unit and I can not decide between 83/200 and 50/200 frequency ducer. What is community opinion for best one for trolling in up to 200fow? Please, help. I want to use it this weekend.

Mike

@fishaddict

This is a hard question to answer I just did a bunch or research on this same question. I installed the HDS-8 Gen-2, 2 weeks ago with the 83/200. In all the stuff I read and called Lowrance, the 83/200 is perfect for what we do around here. The 50 gets a little deeper, but we never get deeper than 600 feet around here. The 83 is good to 900 feet from the factory. It also gives you better resolution than the 50. It has a super wide cone angle as well, 35* if I remember. The 200 is best for short water and has a narrower cone angle something like 12* so it sees less area under the boat but has fantastic resolution. So far I am very happy with my choice. This is my $.02